The Who at Glastonbury

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

The Who at Glastonbury

Postby Steve Holloway » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:48 pm

For those of us who aren`t at Glastonbury. BBC2 Sunday 24th between 10.30pm and 2.00am: The Who live!
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:24 am

Thanx for the tip Steve- I've just heard on telly that this is (alledgedly) going to be their last (other than outstanding current tour dates) major gig! I know that most veteran rock bands are always saying that this is going to be their last tour, let's hope that Rog and Pete keep gigging for a few more years to come!

Cheerz,Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Joe90 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:51 am

The dvd of the concert should be available shortly after the concert aswell
I need a scooter!
Joe90

Postby Chris P » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Ah..........The Who. I remember seeing them way back in 1967, when they were in their "Pictures Of Lily" Mode.

Theres a write up on that concert on my Website if anyone is interested (under "The Locarno Ballroom")

http://bristolmod.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Chris
Chris P

Postby Gerry » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:50 pm

they were brilliant 3 weeks ago and joked about this being there last tour , but pete said" that they have said that for many years, and will stop when they stop enjoying it ,or die!! and of course the money helps" he joked, great gig :-D [/quote]
Gerry

Postby Steve Holloway » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:12 am

Sorry Guys, don`t want to be controversial, but am I the only one left feeling a little dissapointed tonight? I thought the vocals were weak and they indulged themselves with their new stuff without giving the crowd want they wanted. The audience certainly seemed less than enthusiastic at times. In contrast Shirley Bassey nailed it this afternoon, and gave the crowds just want they wanted. When they went wild after she sang `Big Spender` she sang it again! By the way, any one see the band `The Killers` last night? Fantastic!
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby Gerry » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:19 pm

sound was crap though this was admited by orginiser, a bit croacky but still got there on some of the highs,dont forget they have been on tour for nearly 2 years now, would still rather watch them a bit croaky than shirley bassey :grrr: i mean shirley bassey :-D have you seen the rolling groans latley :grrr: now i am sorry but they now stink, gerry controversial :-D :-D
Gerry

Postby Steve Holloway » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:25 pm

Gerry.
I mentioned Shirley Bassey only because I thought she sussed her audience and gave them exactly what they wanted. I just felt that last night The Who didn`t do that. I watched the whole set waiting for them to really get going and set the crowd alight, and for some reason it didn`t seem to happen. Take your point about the sound quality.
Steve
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:53 pm

Well I never bloody well saw'em, due to a technical glitch with my Sky in-house wireless network- well pissed off!! Joe 90 mentioned that a DVD is coming out- is it exclusively The 'Ooh, or is it gonna be a Best of Glasto type thingy??

Cheerz,Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Gerry » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:24 pm

they were lucky to get a crowd with that weather, :shock: :shock: i love the who live but i did chuckle sat on me sofa, with me tea, as any good mod would :whistle: watching the rain belt down, :shock: i must admit i would have had a hard job to get into any gig in that crap weather, thank god for southampton, we were sunburn :-D t!!!!
Gerry

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:06 pm

It did look a bit subdued didn't it - but then the weather was so bad it's not surprising.

I managed to get the whole BBC showing on tape - and watching it again you get the impression that Townsend is a bit self-absorbed, but you can't fault Daltry. He always looks up for it and his vocals are still very good. If only he could catch that mike when he chucks it about the place! Certainly Starkey was putting heart and soul into his drumming.

My daughter was actually there and she said the atmosphere in the crowd was very good - but somewhat reverential. I guess a lot of the younger Glasto-goers don't relate to The Who in the same way that we do.

Evening Post gave The Who a better write-up than The Killers, who were headlining the night before. I thought their set was very good - albeit more "West Coast" what with the fireworks and all.

When Townsend / Daltry did their acoustic duet as the encore, one almost got the impression that it was a bit of a farewell thing going on.

Still - while we've got the clips on the 'Net we can always relive The Who at their best.

Cheers
N
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:02 pm

Was speaking to someone today who saw them at Ashton Gate and also saw them at Glasto- reckons they were better at Glasto! I guess it's down to how much you like'em to what you expect of them, plus the different venues.(and what you've drank/taken!) Check them out again, care of Utube-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=89jcFrkqPuU

Cheerz,Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Myk » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:53 am

I saw them at Ashton Gate last year and they were just as I expected them to be.....I mean, how old is Pete for starters? Anyone going to see them play live should expect things to be toned down a bit......but the vocals from Roger were still spot on.

Who Are You and Won't Get Fooled Again were the highlights and it was a great evening for everyone who went.

I'd go again, that's for sure.

It's in the groove what counts
Myk

Postby Steve Holloway » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:03 am

For those who missed it a couple of weeks ago, and for those wanting to watch it again: The Who live at Glastonbury repeated Friday 6/7/07, 9pm, BBC4.
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:21 pm

Nice one Steve- who needs a TV guide when we've got you keeping an eye out for us! I will deffo be watching it. Thanx m8, C U soon!

Cheerz,Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.