BMSC AGM - January 20th - Summary minutes

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

BMSC AGM - January 20th - Summary minutes

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:31 pm

It was a grim, January night .......... it had been p*ss*ng down and blowing a cold westerly most of the weekend......

But we still got a good few attending the AGM plus a couple of guests - Paul (Get Smart) and Malcolm Archer. I also received several "Apologies for Absence". No names - no pack drill; but very encouraging nevertheless.

Here's the Minutes:

* Voting of new BMSC Club Committee.
In the absence of any other suggestions / volunteers - the Proposal I made in the last Newsletter was accepted unanimously. So your Committee for 2008 is:

Gerry Churchill Club Chairman
Jim Burnham Club Secretary
Norman Webb Club Treasurer
Committee Members Des Coles; Steve Holloway (plus we welcome any Club Member to join and contribute to the Committee).

* Club Committee Meetings
It was agreed there would be a formal Club Committee Meeting once a Quarter. I propose that the first Committee Meeting is held on Sunday March 9th; commencing at 7:30pm at The Arnolfini. An Agenda will be circulated in due course.

* Club Funds and Annual Membership
The Club entered 2008 in the Black (hooray) to the tune of £38.19. We already have 11 paying Members for 2008 - including 2 new Members whom we welcome to the Club - Colin Birch and John Hendy.
It was agreed that the Club Annual Membership Fee of £10 would be retained. Please can Members forward their Fee to me asap. (Ta!)

* Club Meetings
The traditional "Second Sunday of the Month" will be retained and since we are currently on "Winter Rules" this means those who wish to meet it is 7:30pm at The Arnolfini (Weather Permitting) until the Spring.
We will announce the first "Summer Rules" meeting in the Newsletter and on the Forum. I suspect this will be March (9th) - but this is To Be Confirmed.

We have already been invited to (and accepted) several events. These are:
26th April Bristol Italian Auto Moto Show - Corn Street. We need to be there at 9am, so please let us know that you plan to attend with your scoot.
3rd/4th May Borders Vintage Show, Monmouth. More info to follow later.
13th July Castle Cary - Cavalcade of Motoring. More to follow on this, too.

* BMSC Website and Forum
There have been several "distressed" Club Members reporting that they have received "BANNED" notices.
First thing - THIS IS A TECHNICAL PROBLEM.
Nobody has been banned from our Site or Forum for at least 6 months (and then it was just unknown Spammers).
Jim and I have an action to try and remedy this problem asap - we are meeting during next week to do this and to discuss other Club matters relating to our Website, such as updating Members pictures etc.
We will keep you posted and apologise for the inconvenience.

* Rideouts planning
Des has agreed to produce a list of 2008 Club Meetings and Rideouts venues. This list will be discussed by the Committee at the first Meeting in March. If you wish to have a say in this - you are welcome to join the Committee Meeting. Just turn up !
Once we have agreed the Plan for 2008, this will be published in a Newsletter and posted on the BMSC Website Newsletter Page.
We will produce a single mailshot to the Club Membership with this list, too.

* LOCARNO Night
This idea has been the subject of lots of interest and Forum comments. So we're taking it seriously. The planned date for this event is Saturday 5th April. Bernie has kindly agreed to be our DJ for this event.
At the moment, we visualise this being a BMSC Members, families and close friends only since we do not want to run into issues such as the provision of Security with the attendant costs.
The action is with myself, Jim and Des to look into viable venues - and I plan to report back on this prior to the Committee Meeting (since time is a bit tight).
More to follow on this.

* BMSC Club Badge
It was proposed that we should look into the cost of providing a Club Badge for Club Members. There are a couple of options on this - an enamel badge (like the one the Torquay SC guys gave to us after our last rideout) or a cloth badge to sew onto our parkas. Action is to look into the cost of this - me on the former option; Gerry on the latter option.
More to follow on this, too.

That's about as much as I can recall (from my notes) - please feel free to add any significant topics if I have missed something.

Finally, I very much welcome Jim Burnham to the post of Club Secretary. We have all got to know Jim over the past couple of years and it seems to me that he is perfectly qualified to be our Secretary - he has the local, Bristol Mod / Scooter background; his enthusiasm for all the things we stand for is tangible; he has the ace Mod Scooter - and, perhaps most importantly he's a thoroughly decent bloke. I commend him to the House (as Gordon says on Budget Day!)

Finally (really finally), I was genuinely touched to receive the engraved pewter Tankard at the AGM. Thank you. I can say that, even though we've had a few (inevitable) ups and downs, I have felt privileged to be your Secretary for the past few years - and I look forward to continuing my involvement with the Club for many years to come.

Cheers and lets hope 2008 brings 2007's promised Globally Warmed Season.

Norm
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Postby Jim » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:00 pm

Well done Norm, a good report on a good meeting! I'm sure I speak for all the guys in thanking you for all the work you have done for the club! I must admit that there was concern among some members regarding the future of the club (myself included) when last year you announced that you would be standing down as Secretary, so as part of the new committee (and with Norm still on board as Treasurer) I would like to re-assure everybody that it's very much 'business as usual' for the club!

I'm very much looking forward to being involved with running the club with Gerry, Norm, Steve and Des, we're all very optimistic and enthusiastic for BMSC in 2008 ,it should be a great scootering year for us! (Fingers crossed for some good weather!)

This will be my third year with the club, and I've always been impressed with all of you guys as members, your commitment to BMSC, your friendliness and of course, all of your fabulous scooters- probably the best group of Mod scoots in the UK!

So well done everybody, thanx, and see ya soon!

Cheerz,Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.