Locarno Night

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Postby Chris P » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:33 am

Bernie wrote:But did they play it at the Locarno.

regretably..............................YES
Chris P

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 pm

I can't believe that anybody associated in any way with this club would request Englebert Humperdink!! Anyway, Bernie's a cool geezer, with very good taste in music, I'm sure he won't play anything that's remotely un-mod!!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Gerry » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:55 pm

bernie :-D please early who please :-D :-D :-D :-D the detours(the who) hit zoot suit, james brown,the flirtations,the contours,anything on our original postings, thanks matey you are a diamond,and in demand looking at this post
:- :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp:
Gerry

Postby Chris P » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:01 pm

I'm certainly NOT requesting it................just stating an anoracky anal fact. It did keep the Fab Four from the number 1 spot (actually it was "Release Me" not "The Last Waltz" and was in Feb 1967)

Sorry..........................
Chris P

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Yeah Chris, I thought you wouldn't have requested that!! So, who was it that requested Sugar Sugar by The Archies?? Come on, fess up, who was it??
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Bernie » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:05 pm

Well we wont be having Englebert Humperdink or Sugar Sugar, although someone requested chirpy-chirpy-cheap-cheap, and we wont be having that either.
Interestingly James Brown doesnt appear on anybody elses request list, which I find strange, as his music was very popular at that time.
Bernie
BMSC member

Postby Steve Holloway » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:06 am

What`s wrong with Sugar Sugar and Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep? While I think of it, The Monkees made some groundbreaking music at the time. Who can`t forget Hey Hey we`re The Monkees!
And as for Englebert, I think it would be churlish not to end the evening with `The Last Waltz`

Just remembered another timeless classic `Patches` by Clarence Carter
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby Bernie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:00 pm

Steve. Ive got both Sugar Sugar and Chirppy chirrpy cheap cheap, and Ill play them for you no problem. Not sure about Last Waltz, was thinking more of "Go Now"
Remind me to tell you a funny story about Patches when we meet on saturday.
Bernie
BMSC member

Postby Jim » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Boys Boys Boys!!! I'm all for pop songs of that time, but please remember, we are the Mods, and we must be a little bit cool!!

This might remind you!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_PrSjntNHWA
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Bernie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Great Deck
Garrard SP25 Mk2
Always wanted one, but could never afford it.
Bernie
BMSC member

Postby Chris P » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Eddie Floyds version is better...............
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Yes Chris, you are probably right!
Here you go Bern, it's a mk 111, is that OK?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/?ViewItem&item=180226311479
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Bernie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:10 pm

Well spotted Jim.
Doesnt it look beautifull?
Bernie
BMSC member

Postby Jim » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:35 pm

In 1971 I built myself a hi-fi set up-(as you did in those days!) massive speaker cabinets,base filled with concrete, frame work air tight sealed, baffles, tweeters etc. (I was an avid reader of Hi Fi monthly) and I used to go to a hi fi shop on Park Row, checking out all the bits'n'bobs! Anyway, years ago I mounted the speakers in the upstairs windows of a shop I used to manage in Broadmead, and on Saturday mornings we would open the upstairs windows and blast out the likes of The Associates and Simple Minds. Guys would come into the shop saying they could hear us in St Pauls! Great fun until the cops arrived!
Anyway, I've still got the amp, the speakers I left in the shop (!) and I think the deck - Garrard SP25 mk11 - might be in a box in my loft (serious ammount of stuff up there), so Bernie, I'm gonna see if I can find it (mission for today).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IE82QJJPkhs
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:05 pm

Re "Knock On Wood"............Eddie Floyds version was much more successful than Otis Reddings because it was slightly slower- the beat of Floyds record then matched the beat of a current dance ( :stomp: The Shug??), which made it a floor filler when it came on.

For more anally retentive facts please ask- I've got loads :puzzled:

Chris " I need to get a life" P :wave:
Chris P

PreviousNext

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.