LCGB site

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

LCGB site

Postby Chris P » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:54 pm

Just to advise you all that the LCGB will be banning non-members from posting on its forums with effect from 11 Jan 2009.

I've posted on there for many years, and now their committee feel its appropriate that non members do not have access, but have gratiously allowed us a "few weeks" to join!

As the LCGB will not allow any discussion on the forums about this, and indeed delete any dissenting post immediately, I will not be joining, so will lose my access in the New Year.

I've recently joined another site, Scooterotica, which is very friendly and helpful

http://www.scooterotica.net/

Chris
Last edited by Chris P on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris P

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:51 pm

Chris- I'm confused! Are you saying that you can only post on the LCGB forum if you have paid an annual subscription?

Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Gerry » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:08 pm

i wont miss them, load of cyber rangers spoiling the whole idea of it, look at the grief we have had from them ,even though we all ride nearlly mint lambrettas, a few vespas i know :whistle: :whistle: but we spend a fortune on them to keep them from disappering of this planet into the history books and what do we get riddeculed because we like the 60s mod scoot ,and then praise a original scooter which looks terrible and quite frankley needs restoring i mean original paint nearly 50 years old??? i wouldn`t slag them for doing that :shock: but they are more than happy to have a go at us :grrr: :grrr: sod em,, they will probually vanish quicker than a x-factor runner up :shock: :shock: :shock: just my opinion :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Gerry

Postby Chris P » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:14 pm

unless you are a fully paid up member of LCGB you will NOT be allowed to post on the forums after 11 Jan 2009.

If this is a marketing ploy to get more LCGB members then its flawed a bit..........................

Chris
Chris P

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:18 pm

What , one wonders, do they hope to achieve by doing this?
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:26 pm

Jim, they are so far up their own arses they can't see the end result.

Nobody is in favour of this apart from "The Committee" of LCGB, who obviously aren't representing the membership.

Any mention of this on the site is removed as soon as noticed.

The first casualty will be LCGB; the second, I fear, will be scootering generally.

Chris
Chris P

Postby Steve Holloway » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:05 am

Completely agree with Gerry on this.

I stopped visiting LCGB website a long while ago.
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby Chris P » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:40 am

the only thing I disagree with Gerry on is the comment regarding !"50 year old paint"!! :shock:

Riding "as is" is the new black! :-D

At least our club can have differing opinions without posts being removed by "The Committee" :-D

Chris
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:33 pm

If you are a non- member, will you still be able to view the postings on all the forums?
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:38 pm

apparently yes you will- sort of on the outside looking in :oops:

If you want to be one of the "Cliquey Elite" you will have to stump up the readies............

Oh, and also agree not to disagree; not to slag off Dealers even though the part you bought may be dangerous; not to warn fellow scooterists of Ebay scams to trap the unwary etc etc etc

Chris
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:59 pm

Maybe the question I should be asking is WHY are they doing this?? Is it to stop irrelevant/ offensive postings?? To save time spent on admin?? To create more (as you mentioned, Chris) revenue?? I know when I joined the website, I had to wait ages to have my account activated, and then it was only done as a response to an email I sent to the club sec who eventually got round to doing it, apologising in a return email saying he was snowed under with a backlog of admin duties to do! So haven't they got enough to cope with as it is at the mo!!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:10 pm

IMO the main reason is the fact that some posters post differing views to the "official" view- not offensive but some, like me, believe the Club should serve its members and not the other way round. There is no consistancy in removing posts either- if you're one of the "faces" you can get away with a lot- others have been deleted for no apparent reason.

The thing that really irks is the fact that there has been no discussion re this new initiative on the LCGB site- if there are questions asked or comments made, they disappear quite rapidly.

Also, some dealers have a charmed life, and no criticism is allowed for "legal" reasons.

To be honest I don't know their rationale behind this- what I do know is that they've pissed off a LOT of posters who have migrated elsewhere. I was chatting to a VERY well known bloke last night who's probably done more for Lambrettas since the 1960's and he is totally incensed by their action.

To be honest, I will not be joining the LCGB- as Groucho Marx once said "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that wanted me as a member anyway................ :-D "

I think this is very short sighted.

Chris
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:00 pm

The thing is- are we really bothered! The website is still available to view, and to be honest, they are hardly a 'mod friendly' bunch! When we put our Locarno Night poster on their forum, it was vandalised straight away! At the end of the day, it's their club and they can have as many rules and regulations as they want! If they want LCGB club members to pay for the privilidge of being able to post a remark on their forum, then I say good luck to 'em! Maybe it's something we should try! (That last line is meant to be a joke!)
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:50 am

thats it in a nut shell Jim- our poster was vandalised but left in that state on the forum for all to see.

So apparently that action was permissable by the Moderators, whilst general disent towards LCGB is stamped on very heavily.

"What price Censorship in a modern democracy?"

Chris
Chris P

Postby Myk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Jim Burnham wrote:The thing is- are we really bothered! The website is still available to view, and to be honest, they are hardly a 'mod friendly' bunch! When we put our Locarno Night poster on their forum, it was vandalised straight away! At the end of the day, it's their club and they can have as many rules and regulations as they want! If they want LCGB club members to pay for the privilidge of being able to post a remark on their forum, then I say good luck to 'em! Maybe it's something we should try! (That last line is meant to be a joke!)

I'll post more Jim if you 'up' the payments!!! :-D
It's in the groove what counts
Myk

Next

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.