For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Postby Gerry » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:13 pm

i started 2009 with a bang :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: literary :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Image dont you just love brothers, all the way home and all the time in the garage saying "you should`nt change from standard fit !!! it will all end in tears" bloody smartass :whistle: :whistle: back to me standard tv175 now :cry: :cry: oh well, we all mistakes said the dalek climbing off the dustbin :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Gerry

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:19 pm

I could say the old joke about starting off the new year being "pissed 'n' broke!", but I won't! That's tough sh*t buddy-2009 can only get better for you!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:47 pm

too lean?

Ignition too far advanced?

Chris
Chris P

Postby Gerry » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:57 pm

dont know to be honest? have been runnig in as always, more oil, as you need , happily sat at 4o mph then heat sezuire, pulled clutch , freewheeled , then let clutch back out slowly and then stopped no big bang, just no compression, thats scootering, will have it back on road as soon as i get some head gaskets, got through a few lately :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Gerry

Postby Chris P » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:17 pm

I had an almost identicle hole on my old "Mod bike" about 10 years ago on M5 coming back from WSM.

The bike was flying up the hill on M5 near Cribbs and then suddenly, without warning, it went.

Found out it was way too lean and just melted the piston crown

Chris
Chris P

Postby Gerry » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:21 pm

i have to agree with you chris, from post mortem on the victim i noticed the sparkplug was very dry and i remember the cylinder was way to hot when it stopped, i think that the mixture was to weak, i did upjet the carb but i think it needed more, standard tv175 jet is 106, tv200 is 108, so i found a 107, but then a sx200 has a smaller 103 jet which really confuses you :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: anyway it makes a great paperweight with penholder feature now :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Gerry

Postby Gerry » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:47 pm

thanks mate :-D unfortunatly its the only top end strip i get now :-D :-D :-D :-D
Gerry

Postby Martin M » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:25 pm

Gerry
I had a similar piston blow some years ago, no big bang or seizure, just stopped as if I'd run out of petrol. Found I'd been running with too much oil, which can be worse than running with too little. That could be what's happened with you..??
good luck on the re-build. See you later in the year when it's warmer (fair weather rider me! :freezing: ) and when I've put a new engine in mine.
All the best to everyone. Martin
Vespa Sprint
Martin M

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.