Wintertime Saturday Meets

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Wintertime Saturday Meets

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Sure was a nice day today- sunshine, nice 'n' dry, not a cloud in the sky- perfect scooter riding weather! But 'ang about, it's bloody freezing! Not the sort of day to be stood on the Downs, freezing your nuts off after a ride on the scoot!

There's the prob- I think quite a few of us fancied a ride today (mental or what!) but the thought of standing around in the cold not so appealing! So perhaps we need to think of another meeting place during this cold time of year. Maybe meeting in a cafe or bar or something, where we can warm up a bit and regain the feeling in our fingers!

Trouble is, where? What I've got in mind is a cross between The Ace Cafe and the espresso bar in Quadrophenia, where we can play on the pinball tables! Yeah, you're probably right, there is no such place in Bristol, but you know what I mean- somewhere we can park the scoots in view (other than the Arno) and sit in the warmth sipping hot tea and scoffing bacon sarnies! (Heaven!) Any ideas??

Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Servetta Paul » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Portishead Lake Grounds :-D
Nice Cafe - Nice place and quite central for all of us :whistle:
Servetta Paul

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanx Paul- yeah, we've been there a couple of times and you're right- it's a nice place- we'll keep it in mind. I wonder if there's somewhere more in the centre of Bristol- is the Never On Sunday caff still open in Fairfax Street!?

Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:20 pm

Yes but its called Soup and Sandwich and I don't think its open Saturdays (sells to the Office workers in the week)

Anyway, the Pascoe brothers get in there and you don't want to mess with them :shock:
Chris P

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Good point Chris- OK, what about the Bali coffee bar on Park Street- don't tell me that's gone as well!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Yep

Also Aunt Gemimas has gone, as has The Weigh Inn........

Theres always the "Stars Reach" caff in Staple Hill..............but that was a greasers place :puzzled:
Chris P

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:24 pm

Blimey, this credit crunch is beginning to bite! Let's meet in The Wimpy Bar, the one on Park Street!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Jim...............sit down mate, I need to talk to you and its bad news........ :shock:
Chris P

Postby Chris P » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:36 pm

Seriously- theres nothing left like that is there?
Chris P

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:48 pm

The high streets are crammed full of cafes and bars, all trying to look different yet ending up looking the same! Just how boring are Starbucks!! Have any of them thought of going retro- red'n'white plastic table cloths, wooden back chairs, red plastic tomato shaped ketchup bottles on the tables, just tea or coffee with or without 'froth', basic egg'n'chips type menu, a few posters on the walls, juke box in the corner! Hey- I reckon I need to patent this idea!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Rich B » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:09 pm

HI just manage to registar after long period of being bounced out so i thought i would join in

just a line regarding Chris P statement Angleo pasco and co at Never on a sunday cafe never gave us any problems ?

Also for information Starsreach cafe Staple Hill original Hells Angles Bristol Chapter great set of lads got turned over by on many occasions
due to fact being a Ex Hillfields Mod still a cafe/bistro thingy with parking round the back

What about Concorde Cafe???? Eastville opp the Old White Swan pub i think they still got the bingo type pin ball machines 5 in a line and it would clock up credits that you could cash for 10 pence each
Hillfields 69 li125 series 2 SS180
Rich B
BMSC member

Postby Servetta Paul » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Chris P wrote:Jim...............sit down mate, I need to talk to you and its bad news........ :shock:

:-D :-D :-D
Servetta Paul

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.