Hi I'm new and need help!

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Hi I'm new and need help!

Postby gallagherbarrett » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi everyone!
hope everyone had a good christmas/new year?

Ok so i thought this would be the best place to start (being a local boy)
I bought my first and only lambretta about 4 years ago when i was 18,
My grandad stripped the scoot completely, going by a lambretta manual..
sprayed all the parts professionally, and then a good friend of mines father built it back up, using some new bits and peices which i happily paid for.

Now at this point i moved out and never went home, so never had time for the scooter.
It's been sat in the garage ever since. 3/4 years, not started or anything.
So i've finally gone back home and want to get the bike on the road, but im having trouble getting it started, im sure the weather at the moment isn't helping either.

It hasn't been registered so i need to get that done.. But any idea's on how to get it started now?
Not really knowing too much... apart from its an italian li150,
keys in, theres two levers below the toolbox, one i'm assuming is a choke of some sort?!
i'm trying to kick it in to action but no luck.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Gallagher. :roll:
this is england
gallagherbarrett

Postby Chris P » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Keys first. An Li150 doesn't have an ignition switch (normally) You should have a "kill button" on the back of the handlebars (facing the driver)

If you have a switch, then the key needs to be turned to the 1 o'clock position

You have 2 levers near the floor at the front of the seat. The nearside one os the fuel. 3 o'clock is main tank; 6 o'clock is reserve. BUT- its likely your fuel has gone off/ gummed up the carb and petrol tap after 3 years so they would both need a thorough cleaning. The old fuel needs draining and replacing with fresh petroil ar 3% mix

The second lever (offside nearest the kickstart side) is the choke- this needs turning round to 6 o'clock position when trying to kick start it when cold. Return to off when/ if it starts.

Plug- replace and gap at 15/ 18 thou.

Wheres the bike located? It might be easier for someone to pop round and have a look for you.

Chris
Chris P

Postby Martin M » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi
In terms of getting it registered; have you got a dating certificate to prove how old it is? I guess the LCGB will help in terms of dating certificates?? This is the sarting point, I'm assuming it's an import of some kind. Once you know how old it is you will need to MOT it, insure it and then take all the documents to the DVLA, there's an office in Stoke Gifford near the B&Q. They will want to examine it, frame and engine numbers. You have to be able to take it to the DVLA on a trailer or in a van, you cannot ride it to the DVLA office. However you can ride it to the MOT station! I know it's bizarre!! I registered my Vespa last spring and had no drama. The DVLA office were really helpful, only the inspector was a miserable git.

Good luck and hope you get it going for the beautiful summer we're going to have!?
Martin
Vespa Sprint
Martin M

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:19 pm

In addition to Martin's good advice, here's a link to the Lambretta Club's page on how to register a Lambretta-

http://www.lcgb.co.uk/workshop/register.html

When I registered mine a few years ago, I took all my documents to the DVLA, but requested an inspector to do a home visit to check the frame/ engine numbers. Had to wait a couple of weeks, but saved the trouble of vanning it to them. I don't know if they still offer the same service!

Good luck! Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:28 pm

Pete Davis of British Lambretta Archive still does dating certs I think. They were, last I heard £7.50 (half the price of LCGB)

http://www.britishlambrettaarchive.co.uk/

Chris
Chris P

Postby Martin M » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:54 pm

Jim's right, they do offer home visits, but they have a longer waiting list than taking it to them. I had mine done and registered within 1 week of taking the paerwork in. Still, when you get to that stage, another couple of weeks might be no big deal, especially if vanning it to them is a problem. Vanning it shouldn't be a problem for a prospective Bristol mod though eh!! :-D
Vespa Sprint
Martin M

Postby Chris P » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:06 pm

the only problem is that as the insurance cover (which is needed) is issued on the frame number initially, then most if not all insurance companies will only cover for 14 days. This is a tight timescale if you take the bike to them- a home visit (I was told anything up to 6 weeks), may end up with your insurance being out of date.

When I do mine, I arrange for the insurance cover to start, say 2 weeks hence- that gives DVLA time to read the paperwork and get an appointment sorted.

C
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Anyway, Gallagher, (you're not one of the Oasis brothers, are you?) how are you getting on with starting the scoot. You've found out quickly that lambrettas, although OK most of the time, can occasionally be right pigs to start. Usually, the more you take the engine away from standard spec, there's potentially more probs with starting the bugger!

Usually if you've got fresh fuel (plus right ammount of oil mixed in) and you've been trying to kick start it for a while, then it's time to look at the plug. Remove it from the engine and have a look at it- if it's dry, then you may have a fuel blockage, probably a small speck of something blocking the main jet. You'll have to remove the carb and clean it out. If there's a load of bits in the bottom of the float bowl, then maybe you need to clean out and seal your tank, to prevent future blockages.

If the plug looks petrol soaked, then you may not have a spark. Clean the plug (or replace with a new one- it's always a good idea to keep a couple of new spare plugs in your tool box when out riding!) carefully hold the plug by the HT cap (Don't touch any part of the plug- it's quite a jolt if you do! Wearing a good thick glove helps!)) and hold the main metal part of the plug against a metal part of the frame (earth), the end of the engine mount bolt is good, make sure the ignition key is turned on, and push down on the kickstart. (IF you are a bit unsure of any of this, then it may be a good idea not to attempt it!)You should see a spark, if not then you may have a loose HT lead connection, check it's all connected properly, if still no spark, then you may have a wiring or ignition probs. If there is a spark, replace the plug and try kicking again. If still not starting, you could try bump starting it, although only attempt this if you are an experienced rider and know how to do it, and you have someone helping you, as it's a bit of a dodgey procedure if you haven't done it before or you have nobody to help, and of course, will be illegal on the road due to no mot/ road tax etc!

This is all basic advice, which most scooterists will know, and I may be telling you something you already know and have tried!

Keep us updated on how you're getting on! If you are completely stumped, let us know- as Chris mentioned, I'm sure there would be at least one of us guys more than willing to come round and give you a hand!

Cheerz, Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby gallagherbarrett » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi everyone!

Didnt expect a reply so soon!!
You've all been amazing with the advice,
I'm stuck in work till 5 but will be straight back the garage when i get home to try it out!

my old man seems to think he had it started about a year ago, which i wasnt aware untill i just spoke to him.

i have a dating certificate, li 150 1963
i had it imported from italy.
I'm thinking i may have some trouble getting a van/trailer so i might have to arrange for them to come over.

If it doesnt start in reference to 'remove the carb and clean it out. If there's a load of bits in the bottom of the float bowl, then maybe you need to clean out and seal your tank, to prevent future blockages.'

is this an easy thing to do (sorry for sounding such a novice)
once again thank you all for replying your top people!

p.s not one of the gallagher brothers, wouldnt mind being with the music and money they've made!!
this is england
gallagherbarrett

Postby Chris P » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:48 pm

if you get stuck just shout- if its not too far away I'll pop over and have a go

Chris
Chris P

Postby Gerry » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:54 pm

all good advice lads, just add my little bit "oh er missus" sorry been watching carry-on films :roll: :roll: :roll: is it standard, ie coil and points or is it 12v converted???? ie, regulator and blue box under your ass on seat?? where did you sourse your spares????? ie indian electrics 4 years ago were as usful as a 225 lammy around london :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: has it got a battery??? who built the engine up and how did they set up the timings? not starting could be anyone of these ?? let us know and we can start to sort it for you mate, lammys set up properly will start every time unless you mess with them, it is a learning curve but it will become second nature,let us know matey :riding: :riding:
Gerry

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:05 pm

If it did start a year ago, then as Chris said, replacing the fuel with fresh should do the trick. If the carb is not too bunged up with old fuel/oil, you may be lucky and get away with just kicking it over a few times to clear it. If Chris comes round, he'll get it going!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Steve Holloway » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi Gallagher

Note your location as Easton in Gordano / Ashton. Not far from me at Shirehampton. I have a Bike Trailer that I will glady lend to you to get your scoot to DVLA, or perhaps to get the scoot to one of our guys if you still have trouble starting.
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby Martin M » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Just a quick thought, you do have a full licence I presume, else you won't be able to ride a 150. Might need to think of registering it as a 125 if you are a learner..??
Vespa Sprint
Martin M

Postby Rich B » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:04 pm

HI just a quick line
Footman jones will insure on frame number no time limit within reason as
quoted by above. when registerd just ring them back with new reg number
also just restored lammy Number 2 got MOT 29/12/08 book bike in with DVLA at Stoke gifford on 30th Jan 08 along with form V55 mot and insurance ( it will cost you £55.00 first registration fee) bike got inspected Jan 8th 09 number issued same day along with TAX disc and new Mot took bike for test run yesterday went like a dream but it was Bl***dy cold

also if you have a spark try a splash of 2 stroke direct in to card mouth
and see if injects some life into the old girl will cough and splutter if it fires but won!t do it any harm
Hillfields 69 li125 series 2 SS180
Rich B
BMSC member

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.