Sat 7 Feb 2009 (or 1968?)

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Sat 7 Feb 2009 (or 1968?)

Postby Chris P » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:42 am

What times the T Hut meet today?

Chris
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:57 am

Usual time Chris! I've just installed a 12 volt heated lining in my parka which I can plug into one of my spotlights, and yesterday I bought some tyre chains for the scoot!

See you there Chris- or are you going to wimp out of it again, you big Wendy type mod. I didn't see you there last week either, and it's your turn to buy the tea!

Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:50 am

Come to think of it, I might not be able to make it. I'm riding me scoot down to King's in Stokes Croft to see if they've got the outrigger exhausts in yet. I've paid a ten bob deposit on a red'un, they said that this batch might be a bit more expensive this time, possibly gone up to 3 pounds 19 shillings and 6 pence- I mean, that's a bit of a rip off ain't it- they might as well be done with it and call it 4 bleedin' quid!

Then I've got to go to Jacksons in Broadmead ( I'm gonna park me scoot in the scooter rank just outside) to pick up me new suit- well smart it is! Brown, 14 inch centre vent, 4 button cuff- they all actually undo, nice flower hole in the lapel, 19 inch parralel trouser. Then I'm going into Austins- they've finally got their new range of Ben Shermans in, and I wanna get a nice cream shirt, button down (of course!) to go wiv me new suit! I'll be wearing it out down the Locarno tonight! Should look brill under those lights in the bar- meet me by the Totem Poles at about 9'o' clock!

Then I might look in The Coke 'n' Clobber in Fairfax Street to check out their knitted ties, that is, if none of the Never mob are hanging around- I don't want to get me bleedin' head kicked in do I. After that I might grab a burger in The Wimpy Bar, the new one in Broadmead, and if I've got time, I'll see you up The T Hut for a cuppa.

If I don't see you there, I'll see you down the Loccy tonight!

Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:56 am

You've not been taking your medication Jim have you?

Now come on, back into bed and drink this, and I'll try to get you a bed bath later

Locarno indeed..................
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:00 am

You're just jealous, cuz I've got a new suit and I'll be pulling the birds tonight- you won't get a look in, mate!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:29 am

the only thing you'll be pulling Jim, is a muscle :-D

Got a couple of K's of "S" if you're interested.......... :shock:
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:31 pm

What d'ya mean!! I don't trust you anymore! The last lot of blues you sold me were parafin tablets! Who d'ya fink did in the windscreen on your Jag!! That was me an' a few mates! What d'ya fink about that mate! Anymore dodgy gear and the Jag gets torched next time!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Gerry » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:30 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: tune in next week for our second episode of westenders!!!!!!!da da da da da da da da!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gerry

Postby Chris P » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm

no-------got some new stuff..............."S"
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:23 pm

Oh right, you've got some Sweet. Don't be shy, if you're a closet glam rocker, we don't mind!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:25 pm

Nah- not Sweet...........................Sanatogen- good stuff
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:40 pm

What a great Saturday night! I had second thoughts about wearing me new whistle- thought I might get the strides covered in all that slush when riding me scoot down town, but I thought f**k it, I've just spent nearly twelve quid on a brand new outfit, an' that's nearly two weeks wages, so you know wot it's like, I had to wear it so I could show it off! Thats wot being a mod is all about aint it, being bit of a flash geezer!

Anyway, Steve called round to mine at about half seven last night, he was dead keen- he couldn't wait to show me his scoot. He'd only gone an' put on two more spotlights and two more mirrors, the flash git! Every time I think my Lammie is the top scoot, he always seems to 'ave something new on his! He's a right b*st*rd like that- I dunno where he gets all his dosh from!

Well we hops on the scoots an' calls round to Chris's gaff- he was well up for a good time. He was ready, but he couldn't start his scoot could he. It's a luverly lookin' scoot an' all, but we 'ad to bump start it in the end. Well, when I say we, I meant Steve gave 'im a push- I ain't gonna be doing that sort of stuff in me new suit! Maybe if Chris spent a bit more of his wages on a few spark plugs instead of all that Brut he keeps wearing, I mean, that stuff is seven shillings a bleedin' bottle! But he has a point, the birds love it!

Anyways, we rode down town and we managed to park the scoots right outside the Hatchet- we were dead chuffed about that- even though it was bloody freezing, there were loads of kids riding their scoots and I didn't fancy parking the bikes on the centre outside Beau Brummels. I heard a few scoots 'ad their sidepanels kicked in there last week, I reckon it was that mob that drinks in the Crown in the market- they're a bit dodgey and our lot stays well away from them, though Chris reckons he knows one of the top kiddies- that might come in handy one day when they're just about to beat the sh*t out of us!

So we went straight into the Hatchet, and they must've had some trouble there on Friday night cuz they wouldn't let anybody in who was carrying a crash helmet. Let's face it, most of the lads ride their scoots on a saturday night, so they could be turning away a lot of trade. So we dumped the crash hats on the scoots an' goes back in. It's always a bit dodgey doing that, cuz you never know if it's going to be there last thing at night. Still I usually dont bother wearing the thing, but me mum insists I take it with me- I always do, but it's normally strapped to me back carrier, and if you manage to pull a bird and give her a lift home, they always wanna wear it- which I always take as a sign that you're gonna be in there with a chance!

Graham and Des were already there- they'd already had a few brown splits so we had to do a bit of catching up! I thought I'd be a bit flash and I was drinking lager an' lime, though Steve insisted it was a queers drink!

Well by nine thirty we were well pissed, and we all staggered out- some tosser managed to spill 'is brown split and it splashed me new suit strides, I woulda said something, but I'm sure the kiddy who did it was one of that gang from the Crown so I didn't. And he looked a bit 'ard so I definatly didn't!

Well we starts waiting on the stairs leading up to the Loccy, it took ages to get in, but thats always a good sign that the place is gonna be packed wiv crumpet. And of course everbody was checking in their coats an' parkas, so that took ages. Still once in we head straight to the bar, got past the guys on the doors alright- just who do they fink they are, god or something.As usual, those bleedin' lights in there make you look like you've got arf a ton of dandruff on yer shoulders, they must be infa red or somefing like that! Had a few drinks there, this time I'm straight onto the hard stuff, the ol' rum'n' black.Now we thought we'd go an' check out the girls, straight on to the balcony for a good look at who was on the dancefloor. It was packed with girls, some were quite tasty but you know what its like. Anyway, we'd just sat down at a table, surveying the dancefloor, when a fight broke out, between two birds! They were having a right go at each other, but the bouncers were there dead quick- I reckon they've got some sort of signalling system, cuz how come they were there so quick!

So we all goes downstairs to see who has enough drink inside them to pluck up enough courage to ask a girl for a dance. Even though I had me new suit on and i was well pissed, I didn't score, tho Steve and Graham had a few dances with two girls- I knew both of 'em- one works on the record counter at Woolies, and the other works at Wills's, so you could be in there and get cheap records and fags- great! Steve even managed to have a smooch with his when they played that new record by the Four Tops, which funnily enough, was on Juke Box Jury earlier on in the evening.

So it gets to chucking out time, and we managed to prize Steve away from the bird, and we all head outside, for the customary ride around town. Crash helmets were still there, but even though it was freezing, we didn't bother putting them on. Well, it's flash to ride around without a crash hat on! We rode up an' down Frogmore Street, round the centre about five times, it was so funny, Graham kept tooting his gas horn at these girls who were waiting on the centre in the taxi queue, and he wanted to stop and give'em a lift. Anyway, his gas cannister ran out, and with that we headed up Park street. If you don't pull a bird there's only one thing to do- get some nosh. We parked the scoots up by the White Harte, and went to the Bali- bit packed in there so we went to the Omelette Bar for, well, an omelette an' chips. Des was on good form and we almost got chucked out halfway through our meal cuz he was lobbing sugar cubes at these girls on the other table, Quite funny, but Des was so pissed that his aim was crap and he kept hitting a big geezer an' his missus !

After that we all headed home, it was so cold that I couldn't be arsed to put my scoot in the garage, and when I looked out the window this morning, it was covered in bleedin' snow!! Oh well, maybe 1968 might bring us a nice hot summer for getting out on the scoots!

See ya, Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Steve Holloway » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Funny thing about senile dementia.......you can`t remember what happened last week, but you can remember 40 years ago!

Keep taking the tablets Jim.
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby Jim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:54 pm

You're dead right Steve! I've just looked in my suit jacket pockets for me new knitted tie, and it aint there! I can't even remember where I took it off! Was I still wearing it in the Omelette Bar??
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:50 pm

Yeah- thanks a bundle lads. Just because I couldn't start me scooter outside the Hatchet, you could have waited.

Anyway, I whips the plug out :puzzled: and has a general clean up, and lo and behold it starts- just about to go home (thanks again for waiting :cry: ), when this bird comes up to me. Its a girl called Lynne who I knew back in the early part of '67. "Nice Scooter" she says "Is that Brut yer wearin'?"

To cut a long story short, we popped into The Heartbeat (you know that new fangled Discotheque thingy next to The Silver Blades) for a couple more drinks (I had a "Shirley Bassey" and the bird had a Snowball) Turns out she just got a job at the new Wills factory in 'artcliffe making fags.

She mentioned a party at a mates house in Bedminster Down, so we went up there afterwards- packed out with Mods but got out of hand when a load of blokes tried to gatecrash it- one even drove a scooter round the garden!!

Quite a few arty farty types there as well- got chattin to a geezer who was at Film School who reconned he was going to make a film based on the Mods and would use the idea of a gatecrashed party in it...........tosser or what eh?

Eventually took the bird home and managed to grab a handful (up top and outside) so I recons I did better than you lot anyway- said I'd meet her down "The Never" next Friday. Recon she's from Cornwall as her surnames Pascoe or summat like that- got a couple of older brothers as well apparently...............

Up for the Top Rank on Tuesday lads?
Chris P

Next

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.