60's style Jimmy megaphone exhausts?

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Postby Adam_Mod4Life » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Cheers for all the help and advice guys. I should be blowing the rings of the sixties in no time! :stomp:

I’m really starting to get an idea of what I want. Can somebody give their opinion on these little “badboys”? http://www.westonscooterparts.com/catal ... t&cond=AND Are these as good as any remade Jimmy around? :puzzled:

Jim, first of all, many thanks for the pics (extremely helpful). Would it be rude of me to ask where you got yours?

Cheers
8-)
BELLBOYYYY!!!!
Adam_Mod4Life

Postby Jim » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi Adam- yeah I would say those at Scooter Emporium look OK. They look identical to mine, which I bought a few years ago from Weston Scooters (ah, the good ol' days!)- now obviously closed down, but most of their old stock available at Scooter Emporium. They are most likely made by Casa Lambretta, so they should be alright.

Being able to see a pic of these on their website is re-assuring, cuz I have noticed a few sites seem to call any exhaust with a chrome tailpipe a 'Megaphone' or 'Jimmy', even tho they are not the 'Outrigger' type! (Wot utter bastards!)

So how near is your scoot to completion- are we going to see you out and about on it this coming scootering season? Any pics of it yet??

Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Adam_Mod4Life » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:29 pm

"So how near is your scoot to completion- are we going to see you out and about on it this coming scootering season? Any pics of it yet??"

I've had my 1966 Li special 200cc for just over 3 years now. It’s never really ever been complete (I prefer the term “evolving” into the classic mod machine that I always wanted) 8-)

I was 25 when I first got her. At that time, apart from repeatedly watching Quadrophenia, I had little to almost no knowledge of Lambrettas and learnt the hard and expensive way. I had no idea about 2 stroke or the correct fuel mix and consequently, the day I bought her, I seized up 7 miles into my journey back (just over 100 miles away :grrr: ) and arrived home on the back of an AA flatbed so it was 3 months before she was running properly again.

Not knowing about the likes of Ulma and various other accessories that run into the many hundreds of £s, I bought all the usual aftermarket preverbal to attach to the front rack, naively thinking that cheap was good. I am happy to confirm that slowly but surely and when a bargain comes up on eBay, I am swopping the Chinese tat for genuine 60’s chrome. I’ve had a tough but incredibly enjoyable apprenticeship in the world of classic scooters and am please to report that I have just completed my first full restoration. It’s a Vespa 50 special that I did for my girlfriends little brother. I wouldn’t ride one personally but the poor lad has no choice (they don’t do 50cc Lammy’s) but at least we have another upcoming Mod getting into the scene.

But every hour spent swearing and cursing in my garage has brought nothing but happiness. You can’t beat the feeling of riding out with your buddies on your Scoot, uniformed in your Parkas. :riding: :riding: :riding:
I’ve been following you guys for a few years now and I will without a doubt be up the downs as soon as the meet-ups kick off again in the spring.

I’d upload a few pics but I can’t work out how to do so. :puzzled:

Cheers
BELLBOYYYY!!!!
Adam_Mod4Life

Postby Adam_Mod4Life » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:52 pm

"last but not least did you know that the actual Jimmy Bike from the film sold at Bonhams for £36,000 recently at auction. Must get a proper Day job! Chuck me a beer somebody !!"

I know. I saw it in Scootering and had a bid myself but some b*st*rd out bid me at £35K :whistle: It looks great now. You can’t even see the marks from Post Office van or anything! ;-)

Seriously though, when you think about the social history and the impact that Jimmy’s scooter had on this country’s culture, £36,000 is a bargain and if I had that sort of money lying under the bed, I would have bought it myself.
BELLBOYYYY!!!!
Adam_Mod4Life

jimmy scoot

Postby Russ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Hey Jim perhaps Adam wants to bid for my Jimmy scoot I could do with 30 odd grand
Russ
Russ
BMSC member

Previous

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.