BBC Motown Weekend

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

BBC Motown Weekend

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:44 am

Great progs on BBC last night (Fri 20th) celebrating 50 years of Motown (repeated again tonight Sat 21st). 'Legends- The Motown Invasion' particularly good, detailing the Motown UK tour in '65, with fab black'n' white footage of England in the sixties, including some brief shots of Bristol's Centre and Park Street.

Watch it now on this link-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Invasion/

Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:58 am

Oh yes- utter class Jim (apart from the comment that Stevie Wonder was "blindingly brilliant!!.......)

This period up to late 1967 typifies the real Tamla Motown, and its a pity that Berry Gordy got fixed on the idea of films and TV ( I mean "The Wiz" FFS). Personally the launching of The Jackson 5 and all its false "Glitz" killed the real Motown sound and style

You need the slick outfits (i.e. smart suits and dresses NOT stuff like J5 and Commodores), with the slick dance routines (NOT perfect), and the sound with its deep bass and slightly "off" treble.

Gone but certainly not forgotten- thanks for posting the link

Chris
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:08 am

I was going to mention the "Blindingly Brilliant" comment about Stevie Wonder! You're right Chris, about the sound- the snippets of live music on this program are amazing, even through the TV screen- being there at the time must've been brilliant! Just wish I could go back in time, to my mis-spent teenage years, and gone to the Colston Hall to see the Motown Tour! (Come on you scientist guys, get yer arse into gear and make time travel a reality! I'd watch these acts live, pop into the Locarno for a brown split, and come back with a couple of SX200's and maybe one or two TV200's!)
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:21 pm

Jim..........I really think you need to get some help :puzzled:
Chris P

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.