Forgotten Locarno Classic

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Forgotten Locarno Classic

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:17 am

When we previously 'researched' all the records that would have been played at the Locarno, there was one smashing record that kept going through my mind as being regularly played there, sometimes twice a night. But all I could remember was part of the instumental backing and one or two words, and I've just stumbled upon it on good old Youtube. (I really do need to get out a bit more often!)

I've never heard anybody mention this artiste or record (maybe Bernie has played it, and I didn't notice!) but as I said, it was a regular down the old Locarno,

It's by Barbara Randolph-I Got A Feeling- a cover of the Four Tops number. A real forgotten classic!

Here it is on Youtube, it's not a fantastic clip, and the guy does a little introduction, but it's a great record- does anybody else remember it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHA6qrnFDg

Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:41 am

I remember the song but think its the one by the Four Tops I recall. Having said that, what with the noise, the Locarnos basic sound system and the illicit halves of "Woodpecker", who knows.

Good song though

I rtemember another Locarno favourite but have NO info on that one- just remember there was a rapid clapping "section" that the crowd used to join in with. No idea of artist or song title I'm afraid- anyone got any clues? (would be 1967 or earlier)

Chris
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:45 am

I can definately remember Barbara's version being played, it was the DJ's favourite for a while, as I said, it was sometimes played twice a night!

As for the clapping song- yes, that does ring a bell- you've got me thinking now!

Jim
Last edited by Jim on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:53 am

Chris- was it this one- Simple Simon Says- 1910 Fruitgum Company. As we've said before, they played a lot of lightweight poppy stuff as well as the Motown/ soul stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmgp2HpfLc

Jim
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:57 am

nope- definately not that one!!

The one I'm on about I only heard down the "Big L". Never heard it on Radio or anywhere else..................sorry its a bit vague :shock:

Chris
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Got me stumped there, although the crowd did join in clapping on the Simon Says song. I'm having a big think now!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Of course, there was actually 'The Clapping Song', a bit obvious, but this old black'n' white clip is a classic! I always wondered how they did the moves- now I know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgnCB7oni8o
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:14 pm

No....the one I'm thinking about (not very well) wasn't "commercial". I think it would only be known to those at The Locarno.

Ah well- one of lifes memories gone for ever....... :grrr:
Chris P

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:32 pm

Never mind Chris- loss of memory is quite normal for someone of your age! I reckon you'll be sat in an old folks home in years to come, and you'll suddenly remember what the song was, probably spilling your cocoa at the same time!

Here's another mod/pop song from the same era that I'd forgotten about-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfrLamhtOa4
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:37 pm

Tune in again next week for another edition of 'Chris and Jim'- two old blokes taking a walk down memory lane!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Martin M » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Is it...is it...

Judy in disguise

I'll get my coat :-D
Vespa Sprint
Martin M

Postby Martin M » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:59 pm

In the middle of Billy Butlers "Right Track" there is a section where lots of folk seem to clap quickly, but it's not actually clapping on the track. Is this it??
Vespa Sprint
Martin M

Postby Chris P » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:38 pm

Sorry Martin- not that one (good though it is)

Chris
Chris P

Postby Bernie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:47 pm

You are proberably thinking about "Funky Street" - Aurthur Conely.

Ive got a feeling.........The better version is the Barbara Randolph version, but the version I get asked for time and time again is the Four Tops version, so the four tops one would seem to be the one that people remember.
Bernie
BMSC member

Postby Chris P » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 pm

Now that is interesting!! Its a possibility.

I remember we used to substitute "Frogmore Street" for "Funky Street"

Would you be able to post the track somewhere Bernie (its not on YouTube)

Chris
Chris P

Next

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.