quadrophenia at the theatre

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Actually Chris, you're probably right! But if you are right, how come you remember Kenny Everett!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Myk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:16 pm

I wouldn't listen to Kenny Everett....."he ain't got a job!" :-D
It's in the groove what counts
Myk

Postby Painterman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:32 pm

Jim. You are right...I wasn't there in the 60's (my brother was). So perhaps i shouldn't have said what i did. It's just from everthing i've seen in books, photos etc. Loads of Mods in the 60's didn't have scooters that were decorated with lights and mirrors. (my brothers for a start). But most of what you say about the hairstyles, clothes etc...i guess is pretty accurate. I just wasn't mad keen on the film. But i didn't intend on 'dissing' anyones favourite film... It just wasn't for me, that's all.
Painterman

Postby Chris P » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:37 pm

PMan- don't worry you're not dissing anyone. If you asked 1000 people to describe "Mod" you'd end up with 1000 different answers!! (and every one would be right)

To be honest IMO "Mod" has to be a youth thing...........not 50+ year old blokes on 45 year old shopping trollies :-D

Stay cool

Chris P
Chris P

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:56 pm

It's not my favourite film , tho I have watched it lots of times, and you are right about it not actually being well made. Even tho The Who were funding it, I bet it was a small budget compared to some other films. However, not being very well made sort of adds to the charm, if it had been a slick production, it might have lost some of it's appeal.

Spotting the gaffs is almost like an extra game built in! I like watching the opening bit with the credits, and Jimmy riding along on his scoot- a lovely continuity error as in one shot the mirrors stick out quite widely, the next shot they are more flush with the legsheilds, and then back to the wider style. How many Jimmy scoots did they actually use??

Apparantly people still look for bits of Sting's scoot with metal detectors on the rocks below the cliffs, hoping to find a rusty spotlight clamp I suppose, to put on ebay!

Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Graham Clark » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:14 pm

HOW ABOUT THE FAVOURITE BITS
Will the knee trembler behind the gate scean be shown
SX 150. One of the last SX 150's made in Italy.
Graham Clark
BMSC member

Postby Myk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:27 pm

Graham Clark wrote:HOW ABOUT THE FAVOURITE BITS
Will the knee trembler behind the gate scean be shown

You wait until 'Jimmy' rides off the edge of the stage at the end!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
It's in the groove what counts
Myk

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:35 pm

Surely there must be health'n' safety issues when they drive the post van into Jimmy's scoot! I presume a stuntman will be standing in!
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Gerry » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Jim Burnham wrote:Surely there must be health'n' safety issues when they drive the post van into Jimmy's scoot! I presume a stuntman will be standing in!
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: health and safety :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: have you ridden behind norman and rich t scoots :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Gerry

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:46 pm

Why, what's wrong with 'em??
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:18 am

Yeah - whats wrong with my scoot ..................?
:puzzled:
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

gerry

Postby rich t » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:41 am

is it because me and norm allways smoked you on are vespas or to much 2 stroke :whistle: :riding: :scooter: :-D
rich t

Postby beanie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:14 pm

im glad your your not in the stalls as i believe they are making it into a beach with real sea/water just look out for the seagulls they will be away with your minstrells at the drop of your hat [or should that be trilby].hope you all enjoy it ,im on holiday when its on typical :whistle:
beanie

Re: gerry

Postby Gerry » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:05 pm

rich t wrote:is it because me and norm allways smoked you on are vespas or to much 2 stroke :whistle: :riding: :scooter: :-D
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: guilty m`lord :whistle: this photo was taken 25 secounds before you disappered out of site ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) Image and again upseting the folks in cabot circus ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) Image and guess where they are now??? behind cabot tower :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D Image and a loverly photo of the last london run :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Image
Gerry

The Quadrophenia Play In Bath

Postby Ian Williams » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:30 pm

Ah I've got a bit to say on this play because I've been to see this when they first put it on in Cardiff.

It was on last year and it was pretty good with the band playing high up on a raised stage above the 'drama'.

There were 5 'Jimmy's' - all on stage at the same time, each one acting out the scenes as they play progressed. I'm not much of a theatre devotee but do enjoy certain things though.

This was excellant, and a bit different because the songs played live were really great and the band were really good.

The crowd was probably comprised of 5% of those into the Mod / Scootering thing, 40% were 'student' types and the rest full on theatre goers who will go to support thier local theatre with pretty much whatever is on.

I'd imagine it'll be the same in Bath for these nights too.

Any way its well worth going to see :-D
Ian Williams

Previous

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.