quadrophenia at the theatre

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

quadrophenia at the theatre

Postby beanie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:21 pm

just noticed that quadrophenia [the play/musical] is at the theatre royal in bath 9th until 14 june may be worth a saturday matinee/ride out prior to london :scooter: :stomp:
beanie

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:09 pm

what a good idea(l) !
Whos gonna guard the scoots while we're in wtching it ?

:whistle:
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Postby Jim » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:22 am

Actually, thanx Beanie, that's not a bad idea! Maybe we could ride to Bath on Sunday June 14 as our club rideout, and do a bit of posing! (who said we're a bunch of posers!?) I wouldn't mind going to see it as well (without the scoots!) sometime during that week, maybe we could go as a club, might be a bit of fun! (Well, it's something to do, and I don't get out much these days!) Anybody fancy the idea??

Here's a link to the website-

http://www.quadrophenia.co.uk/

Jim
Last edited by Jim on Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:39 am

How about Friday 12th June ???
I'm up for that
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Postby Jim » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:43 am

Yeah, the Friday's got to be the best bet! We need to know who wants to go, and once we know the number going, I can do a block booking! So if anybody out there is interested, stand up and be counted!

Jim
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Mr Les » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:48 am

Gotta be with the scoots !

They should let us in FREE - in return for the display ;-)

Gotta draw Press photos that one !

Count me in...

:clapping:
Mr Les

Location: Portishead - Lambretta SX150, bored to 175, LI frame, GP parts. chromed 70's styleCatch me if u can!

Postby Myk » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:32 pm

I might pop down and take a few pics.....the Scooters should look pretty good if you can park them right outside.

I could, in fact, keep guard over them whilst you guys are attending the show...

Can't see anyone touching them whilst I've got a camera in my hand, can you?
It's in the groove what counts
Myk

Postby Martin M » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:34 pm

Count me in, scooter or not. Should be a laugh.
Vespa Sprint
Martin M

Postby Andy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:54 pm

up for that with or with out scoots
Andy
BMSC member

Postby Steve Holloway » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:26 am

Me too.
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:54 am

lets get in there Jim
How about we block book say 6 tickets (any more might be risky to get taken)

Suggest we do that today - box office is open 24/7 or online

I'll pay you immediately by cash

Norm
:stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp:
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Postby Martin M » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Any news on this? I can send a cheque if you pm me your address, as I'm not around this Easter weekend. Got fun things to do, like see the in-laws :roll:
Cheers.
Vespa Sprint
Martin M

Postby Painterman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:26 pm

does anyone reckon that a stage play/musical of Quadrophenia will work? Personally, and i know i'll get hammered for saying so...but i hated the film. The only good thing about it was getting to look at some nice scooters. The Who at that point were a bit boring (trust me i do love their good stuff Honest!!) The film is full of terrible mistakes like the disapearing and then reapearing flyscreen as he's riding towards the cliff edge...and the bit where they all jump on scooters to go and 'get some' rockers...Nick Cotten from Eastenders gets on a scooter, and then the camera goes back inside the discoteque, and we see him dancing!!! And there's millions of others...And i hate the way it has defined what Mod is (which isn't at all accurate). If they wanted to really re-create what happened in the 60's they'd have found Mods & Rockers at the seaside together, and then tabloid news paper journalists getting them to 'fake fight' for pictures...which of course then became real at every bank holiday for months to come... The look, clothes and music have all been set in stone because of that film, and for me i feel it makes a mockery of everything i hold dear to my heart! But hey! I tend to get way too deep about stuff like this!!! It is after all a film, and lot's of people like it. I just can't see a stage version working..i mean HOW will they get all the scooters on the stage, and recreate a beach fight with hundreds of people? I guess it would be interesting if nothing else.
Painterman

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:42 pm

I must admit the thespianic minutiae of the show were a bit secondary for me. I was looking forward to a few beers with some like minded people and possibly even a ruby murray too. :-)

I'm up for a night out.
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Postby Chris P » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:12 pm

The gatecrashed party is spot on..............

I, for one, went to at least half a dozen parties just like that back in the 1960's.

Also Jimmys friendship with "The Rocker" (Ray Winstone) is par for the course- I had a good mate who was a "Rocker", and who was more than willing to help a fellow 2 wheeler. Frienships between Mods and Rockers was not uncommon.

After all- you had to be there to know it.

Chris
Chris P

Next

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.