Good evening all

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Good evening all

Postby nickwill » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi just a quick hello - no I'm not in the Force just being polite.
Have been biding my time before joining the forum as I have been waiting for the arrival of a new (old) scoot.
Now it's tucked safely in the garage have the unpleasant task of registering with my friends (not) at the DVLA, plus of course MoT etc. Hope to be on the road in a few weeks if all goes well and may join you for a cuppa up the Downs before too long if that's OK.
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 pm

Hiya matey, welcome to the club! What scoot have you got then?
Jim
Club Secretary

Good evening all

Postby nickwill » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:33 am

Hi Jim,

It's a 66 Li Special with a Mugello 186 conversion.
I got it from ScootRS. I know some people don't have much time for Nambrettas, but the way I look at it it's another Italian built Lammie rescued from a ditch in the Far East and brought to where it belongs - Bristol UK.
Once I find a friendly MoT station and get the DVLA sorted I just need to finish off some of the modding and it should look the business. The scoot looks to be well restored, I'm almost dreading drilling the first hole in the bodywork, but, well, you just have to don't you.
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:45 am

Nice one! It is a real scary moment, if you are putting on front crashbars, when you're lining up the old black'n' dekker, tho you can now get ones that clip onto the legsheids. As for MOTs, I always use Pete Robson, GLoucester Road North- The guy there, Stan, "understands" older vehicles and he's a really nice bloke as well. Good luck, hope to see you out on the scoot soon.

Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby Chris P » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:49 am

if not Jims recommendation, then TNR in Lodge Causeway are OK.

Scootrs are probably the best Nam bike suppliers going- I've never heard a bad word about their bikes. There are some VC "restorers" that simply supply death traps.

I've registered quite a few bikes at DVLA Stoke Gifford- if you need any help/ advice please shout

Welcome to BMSC! - oh and say goodbye to any spare cash/ time/ marriage etc etc :-D :-D :-D

Chris
Chris P

Postby nickwill » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:50 am

Jim,
Thanks for that, I'll try Stan and see how it goes.
Off to buy some sharp drill bits.
And take some brass rubbings of my frame number for the authenticity certificate thing.
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby nickwill » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:57 am

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I spent months researching restorers before choosing ScootRS and while I have to admit Randell is not the easiest person to deal with thats how he is, take him or leave him - it's the end product that counts.
Will no doubt need some advice along the way. Last time I had a Lammie nobody did maintenance - just stuck petrol and oil in and fixed it if it broke !!
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby Chris P » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:01 am

Nick BTW whereabouts in LG are you? Know the area very well having grown up in Hanham

Chris
Chris P

Postby nickwill » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Chris,
I live in Craven Close, off Craven Way at the ASDA end.
My Mrs came from Hanham, thats mainly why we ended up here although this side of Bristol (mainly Eastville, Easton, Fishponds) was always where my roots were.
I'll try to get to one of your tea hut meets even if it is in the car, and introduce myself.
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby Chris P » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Small world- I used to live at 63 Palmers Close back in the 1990's

Chris
Chris P

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.