Motown Quiz

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Motown Quiz

Postby G.I » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Anybody tried this?

Post your best score and no cheating!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/motown/feature/quiz.shtml
G.I

Postby Myk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm Dancing in the Street :-)

Had to check the punctuation on a couple though :whistle:
It's in the groove what counts
Myk

Postby Chris P » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Problems with The Jackson Five/ 5..........

Chris
Chris P

Postby Painterman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:35 pm

28 !!! Couldn't get the titles of 2 & 13. and i have no idea what 11 is at all artist or track? Anyone know?
Painterman

Postby Chris P » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:46 pm

2- Ain't no mountain high enough Diana Ross

11- no idea but its the geezer with the trousers

13- Signed Sealed Delivered Stevie Wonder
Chris P

Postby Painterman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:11 pm

geezer with the trousers...?? not M.C Hammer surely? That plonker! Was he on Motown? Bloody hell, they kind of lost it a bit from the mid/late 70's onwards... I should have got those others though!! especialy as i got the artist part right!
Painterman

Postby Chris P » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:20 pm

to be honest, Tamla Motowns "Golden era" was probably 1964- 1967.

Once Berry Gordy got sidetracked by TV, the old "rawness" disappeared and it all became too slick (I think the Supremes and The Temps did a joint TV show which was also released on an album in 1969- too slick and too smarmy IMO). Also how about the film "The Wiz"- that really plummets the depths of tackiness.............. :oops:

Also Holland Dozier and Holland had legal problems with Gordy which meant they weren't permitted to write for any other company for years- and Motown refused to release their stuff ( I think their first release post Motown was "Give me just a little more time" By Chairmen of The Board which WASN'T on Motown but a rival label, but stll had echoes of the "old" Motown)

Whilst Gordy was undoubtedly very talented and we have so much to thank him for, I fear that he killed the goose that lay the golden egg in the end.

Chris
Chris P

Postby Myk » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:33 pm

11 is Rick James and Super Freak. (It's featured on a lot of the more recent Motown compilations)

Sampled by MC Hammer on You Can't Touch This :-D
It's in the groove what counts
Myk

Postby Paul » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:26 pm

Chris P wrote:

Also Holland Dozier and Holland had legal problems with Gordy which meant they weren't permitted to write for any other company for years- and Motown refused to release their stuff ( I think their first release post Motown was "Give me just a little more time" By Chairmen of The Board which WASN'T on Motown but a rival label, but stll had echoes of the "old" Motown)

Chris

now any committed Motown fan would know that HDH wrote for invictus label under the 'names' of Dunbar & Wayne writing Everythings Tuesday - Youve got me dangling on a string - and others for Chairmen of the board and Band of gold for Freda Payne.

Paul
Paul

Postby Chris P » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Paul wrote:
Chris P wrote:

Chris

now any committed Motown fan would know that HDH wrote for invictus label under the 'names' of Dunbar & Wayne writing Everythings Tuesday - Youve got me dangling on a string - and others for Chairmen of the board and Band of gold for Freda Payne.

Paul

and your point is.........................
Chris P

Postby Paul » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:22 am

Point is..............

any committed Motown fan would know that HDH wrote for invictus label under the 'names' of Dunbar & Wayne writing Everythings Tuesday - Youve got me dangling on a string - and others for Chairmen of the board and Band of gold for Freda Payne.

Paul
Paul

Postby Chris P » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:50 am

I'm sure you're right- any committed Motown fan would of course know these facts.

I like Tamla Motown; I grew up with it; listened to proper Tamla Motown in the ballrooms of Bristol way back in the 1960's; some of my most favourite songs are on The Tamla Motown label. However I'm not a "Commited Motown Fan" and therefore, regretably, am unable to quote chapter and verse.

Thankfully this is not the Army, and I'm not a Gentleman as if it was and I committed a similar "faux pax" I'd be left in a room with my revolver and be expected to do the "correct thing"................. :-D

And as for Northern Soul.........................

Chris
Chris P

Postby Painterman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:18 am

"Thankfully this is not the Army, and I'm not a Gentleman as if it was and I committed a similar "faux pax" I'd be left in a room with my revolver and be expected to do the "correct thing"................. "

Genius!! ! I haven't laughed so much in years! What a brilliant answer.
Is it really possible to be a 'commited Motown Fan' because if you were you would have to really like some terrible records such as 'I Just Called To Say I Love You' by Stevie Wonder... Although i'll get into trouble for saying that now! Someone will claim it's their favourite ever song!
Painterman

Postby Chris P » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:52 pm

That record aside (which is utter crap IMO!!) there is a danger of the "Northern Soul" syndrome attaching itself to Tamla Motown Records (i.e. because its rare it must be good etc........)

I like some Tamla Motown for what it is- utter class for its time. Some was absolutely brilliant (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell for instance) and some was bilge (most J5 stuff)

Good Motown is the sharp suits, the dance routines, the "tinny" treble and the pounding bass. I think it became too "sanitised" when HDH left/ were pushed out legally, and Berry Gordy wanted to concentrate on TV and Films.

Thats my opinion- others will disagree. No problem there

Stay cool

Chris
Chris P

Postby Painterman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:45 pm

And your ponts Chris are totally good ones. I myself like Northern Soul music....or i should say...SOME of it. But i hate the 'I paid £200 for this record that no one else knows' type of nonsense. There are some amazing records (in all styles of music) that were never popular, and never hits, but there was also a lot of rubbish. Just because something is rare doesn't instantly mean it's a great record. The trouble with the Northern Soul scene is, or at least to me, it seems more about being into stuff that no one else is, and the costs of the rare discs, more than about enjoying the music. I'm sure some of the die-hard soulies will be mad as hell at me saying that, but hey, we are all entitled to our own opinions are we not.
Painterman

Next

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.