ELECTRONIC IGNITION

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

ELECTRONIC IGNITION

Postby Colin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Hello Chaps, hoping to make tomorrows " Run to the Rain."
was hoping to bring SX2 Thurst,bought it on Tuesday in Weymouth,drove it home non-stop to Wells in the rain,not a van in sight. The Scoot has an annoying starting fault cold though. Its a standard 67 SX 150 running original 6volt points. It just floods despite fitting the correct SH/20 carb and jets,and checking for earthing and coil faults etc.
Have any of you guys fitted Electronic Ignition systems yourself ? and if so can you give us a few Tips on which system works best,and any problems you have encountered .
Cheers. Colin. :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter:
SX 150.
Colin
BMSC member

Postby Gerry » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:50 pm

what do you mean by floods, if you mean petrol the needle on the carb float could be worn and will not stop the petrol. or the adjustment screw is worn ?? can you give more details cheers gerry
Gerry

Postby Colin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi Gerry, When the engine is cold,you kick her over a couple of times,she wont start, the plug is wet,replace the plug,she starts first time,even without much choke. It runs fine,but on the way back home on tuesday with a hot engine,she stalled at the traffic lights,wouldnt start,but,as soon as I changed the plug it went.incidentally the plug colour is spot on after a run,and she is not flooding. I have tried 5 plugs at different times,so its not that. I have changed the carb for a known good one,so I can only assume its an electrical fault yet it has a good spark at the plug cap.
:scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter:
SX 150.
Colin
BMSC member

Postby Gerry » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:42 pm

it sounds to me that it is choking its self, with 20mm carb, Image as you can see from photo,to check that choke is working, put on choke , put a small screwdriver in the small hole 3 o clock on photo then let the choke off, with screwdriver in hand you will feel the plunger drop onto screwdriver, then pull out screwdriver and you should hear the plunger drop to bottom of carb, if not adjust with 8mm spanner above the hole,......... mixture adjustment should be , screw mixture screw right in, don`t force it, then undo 1 and a half times out from starting postion, just use the slot in the top of the screw for your adjustments, 20mm carb is usally bullet proof, let me know, cheers gerry
Gerry

Postby Chris P » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:46 pm

got to agree with Gerry that it sounds like carb problem and not electrical.

You could fit an electronic system and end up with a whole load of trouble as there's some real rubbish out there.

A well set up 6v points system is more than adequate for most engines ( I run 6v points on my TV with a Mugello kit- no probs at all)

Chris
Chris P

Postby Colin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:01 pm

Yeah ! Thanks guys, Ive owned a few Sx models,but this one is a SOB
from cold or when you stop the engine after its hot,when although the plug is correct colour,it just refuses to start unless you change to a new plug. The plug you take out looks perfect, no sign of wet or richness,the scoot fly's but bloody embarresing when it stops.
catch ya tomorrow.
Colin :scooter: :scooter:
SX 150.
Colin
BMSC member

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.