How old were you in 64?

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

How old were you in 64?

Postby Myk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:10 am

1964.....The year of the Mod

How old were you back in 64?

I was just 4 years old......but my uncle had a Lambretta that he used for work, and I remember sitting on it outside the house and having photos taken.
It's in the groove what counts
Myk

Postby Chris P » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:25 am

12...........and yes I can remember where I was when I heard Kennedy had been shot the year before in 1963!

Chris
Chris P

Postby Myk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:42 am

Ah.....but did you hear the shot Chris? ;-)
Myk

Postby Chris P » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:57 am

now was it three, four, or five shots??

I know I got two shots off myself...................

LHO.
Chris P

Postby Myk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:24 am

I had a feeling you had something to do with it.....

Vacation my arse!!!! ;-)
Myk

Postby Chris P » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:30 am

Tell you what, Oliver Stone, (or "Ollie" as we call him down the Quennshilling) got it totally wrong 8-)

Anyway, yes I do remember the Bank Holiday riots in '64. Totally blown up by the media I think

Chris
Chris P

Postby Myk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:49 am

I've seen quite a lot of "Mods v Rockers" video footage over the years and a lot of it was no worse than a pillow fight in a Nunnery. :oops: (not that I've seen one of course....well not recently... 8-) )

Yes there were some pretty serious scuffles here and there......but it's only the media hype over the years that has distorted the truth.

The 'acting' in Quadrophenia looked more violent than the actual violence it was trying to portray :-D
Myk

Postby Chris P » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:57 am

was probably more like an old fashioned "punch up".

Not like the knives' bottles. guns that are used today.......

To be honest, unless I'm very much mistaken, no one ever got killed or even seriously injured on those Bank Holidays in the 1960's.

So much for progress and the Governments mantra that crime is "decreasing"

Chris
Chris P

Postby Myk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:21 am

This is how the BBC reported events at Brighton in 64....

More than 1,000 teenagers were involved in skirmishes on the beach and the promenade last night.

They threw deckchairs around, broke them up to make bonfires, shouted obscenities at each other and at passers-by, jostled holidaymakers and terrified elderly residents.

At about 1300 BST Mods and Rockers gathered at the Palace Pier chanting and jeering at each other and threw stones when police tried to disperse them.

The teenagers staged a mass sit-down on the promenade when police, using horses and dogs, tried to move them on.

Scary stuff eh?

Two blokes in a kebab shop on Gloucester Road could cause more problems than that :roll:
Myk

Postby Chris P » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:24 pm

When I had my first scooter at aged 16 in 1968, there was a Rocker who lived in my street. Nicest bloke you could meet and always willing to lend a hand when the Lambretta wouldn't go (which was quite often.....) Still see him around now.

To be honest I had more problems from other Mods at the time- remember going to a party in Thornbury in '68 and getting hammered by the local Mods (mind you we did call them a bunch of sheepshagers :shock: )

Chris
Chris P

Postby Myk » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 pm

In 1968 every other house in Thornbury would have been a farmhouse.....and all the kids had the same surname!!! :whistle:

I know what you mean about mates with motorbikes, I had a few back then and never had a problem whatsoever.....

.....mind you, I've had my fish-tail pulled a few times over the years :shock: :shock: :shock:
Myk

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.