Spotlamp brackets

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Spotlamp brackets

Postby nickwill » Sun May 24, 2009 9:14 am

Anyone have any tips on best spotlamp brackets to use on front rack? I have some beautiful stainless ones problem is they take up a lot of room and are made of some steel from outer space that's so hard it will blunt the best drill bit money can buy - well from B&Q anyway. The holes are 8mm and some of my lamps have 10mm bolts. Ideally I need some sort of clamp that doesn't take up much space and can be fettled if it doesnt fit. Thought I'd ask the experts as no doubt the other club will say don't fit spotlamps - and thats not an option !!! Ta in advance
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby Jim » Sun May 24, 2009 9:37 am

Hi Nick- you've definately come to the right place for advice! I've always used standard chrome plated fittings- I guess they're made of softer metal cuz they seem quite easy to drill thru. Stainless steel must be harder metal (I guess) - have you tried rounding out the existing hole with a file?? From my experience, the chrome plated clamps come in two widths, the narrower one being good for mounting small bullet style lamps.

Of course, stainless is the better option, but from what you've said, they are not so easy to fettle- the chrome ones will eventually rust, but most of mine have been on my scoot for a few years, and still seem fine- tho I do dry off all my chomey bits if they've got wet!

Good luck with it. Jim
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.