Good day was had by all ...........(minor exceptions!)

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Good day was had by all ...........(minor exceptions!)

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:47 pm

We've had a glorious weekend (ignore the 4th Test result!) of weather - and 12 of us made it to The Arnolfini this morning to take advantage including, I am delighted to report, a cameo appearance by Ashley McGuirk (he of the S1, which allegedly struggles to go over 25 mph or anything more challening than 1:10 hills).

Les proved himself a worthy guide (taking over shortly after I led everyone into the only cul-de-sac in Portishead!). A stop at the new Marina for a cuppa - then on to Clevedon, via the rather delightful route next to the Estuary, for impromptu snacks / beers etc and a chat. Finally, we ended up in good old Weston - where Bernie turned up after a very late night gig - but not without mysteriously managing to lose Russ just before the M5 roundabout.

Here the tale becomes a little more muddy! Russ's Li had conked out - as had his mobile. So, it was only the eventual intervention of a friendly biker (Joe?) who diagnosed engine seizure but allowed Russ to use his mobile to give us a call. By the time we got back to him, poor old Russ was sitting on the grass verge in despair - side panels off but no sign of a remedy apparent.

The collective wizardry of the BMSCers failed to make any impression - until the knight in a white t-shirt (Jeff) - made a few suggestions, tweaked a few things, put ina new plug and - hey presto - Houston, we have lift off. The relief was tangible!

So - all in all, a typical summer scooting day - albeit with proper summer weather and a typical Lambretta hiccup. Russ called me later this evening to convey this thanks to everyone, but in fairness I believe Jeff should be offered Honorary BMSC Membership for his valiant efforts.

Good time, good company and a decent BMSC Monthly rideout - although we missed many of our usual crowd due to holidays, family stuff, garage shenanigins and Bristol Ballon capers.

To me - today represented the essence of scootering. Good rideout, good comradery and digging a mate out of a scooter problem (by one means or another). Long may it continue.

Thanks to everyone who managed to make it. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I have quite a few pics which I hope to be able to post shortly - if anyone else has some, please feel free to put them up for folks to have a gander.

Thinking aheaad - see Jim's note about Bristol Bike Show next weekend - and hopefully we'll have more of the same.

Yours aye
Norm
:-D 8-) :-D 8-) :-D 8-) :-D 8-)
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Postby Mr Les » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Excellent rideout and weather to match, glad to be of assistance on the "new" Portishead to Clevedon route (I only do it about 20 times a month) lol ;-)

Sorry won't be at the Bike show, will be at the Glevum Stax do next weekend.

:scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter:

Ride Safe and Keep the Faith
Mr Les

Location: Portishead - Lambretta SX150, bored to 175, LI frame, GP parts. chromed 70's styleCatch me if u can!

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:00 pm

Yeah - sorry about that Les.
Bit of a "Busman's Holiday" for you on that route.
:whistle:
Thanks all the same.

NW
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Postby Russ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:00 am

Yes what can I say thanks guys for sorting me out what would I do without you and many thanks to Jeff(white T shirt) thought I was going to sleep in the field.New spark plugs got to be in tools as Squeeker put me right he should know.
Once again thanks lads still had a great day with you all .Russ
Russ
Russ
BMSC member

Ride out

Postby davetheoldmod » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks to all who noticed my back wheel wobbler. Will bring Vespa next week !!!! Dave and Liz :stomp:
Dave C: Growing old not growing up - I'm a Mod ain't I.
davetheoldmod
BMSC member

Location: Burnham-on-Sea, where it now rains all year round on Vespa and LambrettaRiders

Postby Rich B » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Must have been a bad day for lammy owners me and Rich left early
had to get home to wash the dishes and cut the grass while the rest of the members left for WSM got as far as portishead and noticed back brake sticking never mind carry on regardless on long drag up the hill past pill 25 mph flat out thinking something not quite right but never mind must be the 4 mile long hill also there is a rather nice smell coming from the back of the bike thinking must be farmer pile spraying the fields any way at the top of the hill by ashton court still only doing 20MPH flat out and could not find my fags that shot past Des on the way to portishead anyway all down hill now and only doing 20 mph asked rich to pull in on the cumberland basin to have a look as to what is wrong found the fault in 2 mins
lost locking washer of rear hub hub came loose hence the probs quick tighten up with a shifter and we off

moral to this story is check the Rear Hub Nut and washer prior to club ride out [/b]
Hillfields 69 li125 series 2 SS180
Rich B
BMSC member

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.