Series 2 engine information required

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Series 2 engine information required

Postby Rich B » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:21 pm

All you wiz kid engine builders out there looking for some info regarding spare engine i have for a series 2
engine casing i have is around 1958 ish with a cast number of 19 01 001 Engine number 518??? this makes it a early series 1 casing on rebuilding the gear box etc i have noticed that there is no chamfer on gear box side main bearing housing where oil thrower washer fits the casting is square

Question is should i machine chamfer or leave square and was there ever oil throwers fitted on early engines.
Also is there any more differences on early casing compared to later series 2/ 3 with a cast number of 19 01 0054
:puzzled:

Rich
Hillfields 69 li125 series 2 SS180
Rich B
BMSC member

Postby Chris TV175 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Rich

early S1's did not have an oil thrower as standard. Having said that there should be no reason why you couldn't fit one subject to the mods you have outlined.

There is a difference also on the flywheel side bearing- early engines were lubricated simply by the petroil mixture; later engines used prepacked grease. You would need to refer back to the original Work Shop manual to ascertain the precise differences. Also S3 engines had a seperate small end bearing. S1 and S2's had a bush which was prone to fairly rapid wear. 6 pole electrics came in during the early part of S3's run, which are far better than the 4 pole system.

As Innocenti operated an "improvement by design and implementation "policy over the years, the later engines were "better" than the earlier ones down the line- consequently you should improve the spec as to the later engines where possible

Chris
Chris TV175

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.