David Bowie's New Single

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

David Bowie's New Single

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:01 am

You've probably heard the latest release from David Bowie - Where Are We Now .

It's his first new stuff for ten years or so, released this week on his 66th birthday from his forthcoming album.

But is it any good?

It's certainly had a lot of airplay on the radio, but seems to have divided the nation, a bit like Marmite!

Does it have deep and meaningful words which reflects how Bowie feels as an old man, or is it just a dull and boring song?

It obviously hasn't got the instant likeabilty factor that most recording artists strive for, but maybe he doesn't feel he has to pander to anything or anybody or any current musical trends and be true to himself and just release music that he wants to.

I guess it would be nigh on impossible to release anything that would stand up to any or all of his classics, and having reached such a high musical pinnacle, maybe he's on the almost inevitable downward slide.

Why has he come out of recording retirement? Maybe he should've not released anything else, and just left us with his fantastic back catalogue to enjoy.

I must admit on first hearing it, I felt a bit disappointed, although I obviously wasn't expecting anything comparable to something like Let's Dance, for example, but having heard it a few times, it is growing on me. Maybe music that takes a while to get into is more likeable in the long term, or am I just being brainwashed by the radio!

Here it is on Youtube-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWtsV50_-p4
Jim
Club Secretary

Re: David Bowie's New Single

Postby gerry » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:00 pm

i like it, makes a refreshing change to all this x factor wannabe sh*t, simple no gimmick music :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
lambretta is a way of life

GTS is a way of commuting
gerry
BMSC member

Postby Steve Holloway » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:56 pm

I`m beginning to like it, but as you say Jim, perhaps it`ll never stack up against his classics, or is it that his older stuff holds good memories for us `oldies`?

I bumped into him about 15 years ago at Gatwick airport, it was very early in the morning and he`d just got off a long haul flight. Surprisingly, he was very friendly and chatty to everyone that approached him, so a decent bloke it would seem, as well as supremely talented!
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby Neil » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Jim, If you remember "lets dance " was slated .He was also slated as Ziggy Star dust (some of his best music )He is a talented artist,and does what he wants, he doesn't need the money thats for sure ..

A bit like that " Gangnam style ' a classic !!!!!!!!! .lol not :stomp:
Neil

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.