Tea Hut Sat 1 June

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Tea Hut Sat 1 June

Postby Steve Holloway » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:46 am

It`s Saturday, the sun`s out, anyone else up for reviving that summer classic of a 2pm Tea Hut meet? :stomp:

Get yer scoot out (cutting the lawn can wait until tomorrow!) and head for the Downs for a cuppa and chinwag (alright, talk b*llox)

If Clive`s there we can find out if they SX`s are fetching any money! :cheeky:
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Re: Tea Hut Sat 1 June

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:18 am

Abroad- some other time

Chris
Lambretta scootering April 1968 to April 2021. Now retired.
TV175S3 Chris

Postby nickwill » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Steve,

Would have fancied a trip out but scoot is in bits at the moment.
Finally tracked the problem to weak LT coil on stator, so am about to embark on fitting new stator plate.
For anyone else, probably a couple of hours work. For me probably more like a week as I have to teach myself as I go along, but hoping to be back on the road next weekend.
Hope you had a good day with Clive - weather was ace.
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:01 am

Nick

If you need a flywheel puller give me a shout- back Monday

Chris
TV175S3 Chris

Postby nickwill » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi Chris.
Got a puller and holding tool.
I'm OK for tools, it's just me I'm worried about.
May give you a ring when I've taken it all apart, then you can tell me how to put it back together.
I'll be working on it tomorrow, you're always welcome to a cuppa, all constructive criticism welcome too.
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Nick

was passing today at around 11 ish and I called in but no answer- trust the repair went OK

Chris
TV175S3 Chris

Postby nickwill » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Chris,
Have replaced the stator and tested the outputs, all OK. Got a good spark at the plug now, but haven't finished as need to check the timing is OK. Have put the stator in the same position, and pickup markings line up OK, but no TDC or timing marks on the mag housing, so will have to do that to be certain before I put everything back together. Wasted half a day trying to make a dead-stop timing tool from an old spark plug as suggested on several forums, but had problems drilling out the steel plug core. Hope to get it finished by the end of the week though. Every day's a schoolday as they say.
Thanks for calling by - was at me old Mum's getting some advice on electronics - she knows about as much as I do !!!
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Nick

I've got a positive stop plug if needed, but.......

I understand that the only way to accurately time an electronic set up is to use a strobe.

You will need to find TDC using the positive stop method (screw adapted plug in; carefully turn engine one way; when it stops mark where the arrow is on the housing; turn the other way and mark where the arrow is then; using a thin piece of paper, place this round the circumference of the housing, transposing the marks to the paper; fold the paper in two where the marks are thus halving the distance; place the paper back and mark where the fold appears- that equals TDC)

Then using a timing wheel, place this on the housing with "0" on the TDCD mark.

THen put a mark where 19 degrees BTDC is, or 17 degrees BTDC (i.e. anti clockwise from the TDC mark) if the engine is tuned.

Then rotate the stator so the marks on the stator meet the marks on the flywheel when the stator is at either 19 or 17 TDC.

Then CHECK its accurate using a strobe.

Alternatively, put the stator back in the same position as the old one, assuming they are identicle............( works for me!!)

Chris
TV175S3 Chris

Postby G.I » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Nick,

I've got a strobe and a timing disc if you need a borrow and am only down the road in Hanham.

Cheers

Nick
G.I

Postby nickwill » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks chaps.
I bought a TDC tool with a sliding centrepiece that's marked in millimetres, which I guess I could have used to roughly find TDC.
Two problems with that - the flywheel is on the wrong side to do it single-handed, and the thread doesnt fit the Mugello head despite supposedly being a standard plug size - I think it's just a duff thread.
I think positive stop would be more accurate if done carefully, and I'm going to try to make one tomorrow, it's just a pain drilling out the centre of a sparkplug with the metal core but elbow-grease and a couple of blunt drill-bits later I hope to get there.
The stator is in exactly the same position as the old one, but with no markings on the mag housing I'd really like to set it properly. I believe a Mugello 186 should be around 18 degrees but opinions vary on that one and I've no idea what version the kit is - probably 2 or 3, but with a Mikuni TM24 and Ancilotti I guess 17 might make sense. It was going well before the stator failed, so will be interesting to see what the current setting is.

I agree a strobe would be sensible, GI if I could borrow one rhat would be great, could you PM me your number and I'll pick it up if the offer still stands.

Phew.
Getting RSI from all the typing.
PS Chris am breakfasting with John tomorrow - no venue decided and John will be driving, but let me know if you want to join us in a greasy spoon somewhere.
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Nick

where are the "Greasy Spooners" meeting this month? Can you or John give me a bell tomorrow morning (Thursday)?

Chris
TV175S3 Chris

Postby nickwill » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Chris,

We breakfast all over the place, it's our only pleasure in life.
Will ring you in the morning.
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm

thanks for the company at lunch Gents- see you next time!
TV175S3 Chris

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.