Have you listened to..

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Have you listened to..

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:58 am

..any of Tony Blackburn's shows on Radio 2 this week?

I don't normally listen to the radio on a night time, but I had to do a long drive home late last night, and listened to Tony's 'Soul Of Atlantic' show! Wow - back to back fantastic music - every track just absolutely brilliant!

I know Tony gets a lot of stick for being corny, and in his own words, a bit 'poptastic', but fair play to him, this show was possibly the best radio prog I've ever heard!

Listen to it on Iplayer - I guarantee you will love it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Atlantic/
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Re: Have you listened to..

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:18 am

I meant to but missed it- thanks for posting the link Jim- I'm listening as I type.

Love him or loathe him, Tony Blackburn knows his stuff and was very instrumental in actually bring this type of musuc to the attention of the masses in the 1960's. He simply didn't jump on any bandwagon, he actually created one and was THE DJ who introduced the UK to Tamla Motown particularly, via Radios Caroline, London and Radio One.

I think he does play to his "cheesieness" now but he is a very astute DJ and businessman.

There are some superb tracks on this program, and for a flavour of what Atlantic produced in their "Golden Years" try and get hold of "This Is Soul" released in 1968 (NOT the awful compilation CD's with the same name!!) You won't be disappointed.

The more I listen to this program the more I realise who decided the DJ's playlist at The Locarno on a Monday night in '67!!

Nice one Jim- thanks again

Chris
Lambretta scootering April 1968 to April 2021. Now retired.
TV175S3 Chris

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:39 am

having listened to the "Atlantic" prog and skimmed through the others, wouldn't it be great if the BBC produced, say, a 3 hour special featuring "the best" (whatever that is) from all four shows covering the years c63 to c69?
Lambretta scootering April 1968 to April 2021. Now retired.
TV175S3 Chris

Postby Dave Merchant » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi Jim

Thanks for this posting. What a fantastic label Atlantic was. Almost an equal to Motown (I think).

Cheers
Dave M :stomp:
Dave Merchant
BMSC member

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.