Colin Birch R.I.P

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Colin Birch R.I.P

Postby davetheoldmod » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Colin left us ten minutes ago to go on his next journey. God rest his soul. Bye Bye Old Mate. Funeral arrangements to follow. Any enquiries to me on 0784 228 1030
Dave C: Growing old not growing up - I'm a Mod ain't I.
davetheoldmod
BMSC member

Location: Burnham-on-Sea, where it now rains all year round on Vespa and LambrettaRiders

Re: Colin Birch R.I.P

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:53 pm

This is very very sad news, and although we all knew how very ill Colin was, is still a shock.

It's difficult to know what to say at times like this, but we've lost one of the best.

We were all hanging on to the hope that somehow, he might pull through.

His positive attitude and determination to beat his illness even up to the last few days, was admirable.

Colin was such a lovely guy, I remember when I first met him. He rode up on his scooter from Wells, just to say hello and introduce himself.

I will always remember the stories he used to tell us of his times working in the rag trade in London in the sixties, which he always told in an amusing way.

Thanks for letting us know, Dave. These last few months can't have been easy for you, as Colin was your close friend.

Condolences to his family.

Rest in peace Colin, after your valiant battle. We will never forget you mate.
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby gerry » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Colin was and will still be to me one of the funniest, mischievous friend I have had the pleasure to know, he to me expressed all the hallmarks of a MOD, I will never forget his stories and jokes and his love for this club, lugging that massive music speakers over the Mendips to play music at the Italian day on his trusty li150, we lost a good one today, but we will never forget him
thanks for the memories Colin :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Last edited by gerry on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lambretta is a way of life

GTS is a way of commuting
gerry
BMSC member

Postby Steve Holloway » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:57 pm

This is just awful news. I can`t believe that just 4 months ago, Colin, Dave, and myself were sitting outside a beach front pub on our last day at Brighton

I echo all that`s been said above by Gerry and Jim

RIP Colin, a true Mod to the end
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:07 pm

Didn't know Colin that well- just spent the odd day with him and a couple of hours in the back of a wagon on the way back from Torquay two years ago.

I do know that he didn't have a bad word to say about anyone- and thats how I will remember him.

Rest in Peace Colin

Chris
Lambretta scootering April 1968 to April 2021. Now retired.
TV175S3 Chris

Postby nickwill » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Sad news early in the new year.
Glad I was able to spend a day with Colin on an errand to Southampton a few months back, Colin, Dave and I had a good day despite his illness being well advanced by that time, and I realised there was a great deal more to the man than I ever imagined.
What a great guy, and so sad we had to lose him so soon.
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby Graham Clark » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:04 pm

so very sad to hear this tragic news you will be very missed colin we have some smashing memories of you
SX 150. One of the last SX 150's made in Italy.
Graham Clark
BMSC member

Postby davetheoldmod » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:03 am

I will post a lovely you tube of Colin when I get home. I am finding it hard to come to terms with losing me old sparring partner, but I visited him in hospital Monday and am glad he has been released
davetheoldmod
BMSC member

Location: Burnham-on-Sea, where it now rains all year round on Vespa and LambrettaRiders

Postby davetheoldmod » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:55 am

Colin, Nick and I went to Southampton to pick up another of my beloved Vespa's. Even if you love Lammy's ( I do as well) take a look at this video and see Colin at the end where he rides a Vespa. It was this that I convinced him to get an SS180 ( which he said he would ride on our rideouts in 2014 and try to equalize the balance in BMSC) Bloody hell Col, the Vespa does suit you, I hope you will ride the highways of heaven on one,missing you already mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3UUqIGe9EA
davetheoldmod
BMSC member

Postby des coles » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Just dont know what to say.Enjoy life to the full i know colin did. Rest in peace old mate.
Mondo.Best of the lot Vespa T5,Lambretta TV175
des coles
Committee Member

Postby Dave Merchant » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks For letting us know Dave.
My fondest memory of Colin is when i spent an afternoon with him at his place of work the Royal Marine Commando base in Clifton. Colin and i spent time talking to the Commandos and checking out the armoury. Colin was good fun to be with always good for a laugh. Your battles over now mate rest in peace, you will be missed by all in the club.

Dave M
Dave Merchant
BMSC member

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:44 pm

That's very sad indeed.
Regrettably, I didnt know Colin that well - but the few times I did meet him I found him forthright and amusing - both qualities I admire.
As Dave has said, he's probably in a better place now chasing the angels around and giving them a hard time!

One of a kind - our kind.
My condolensces to his family and close friends.

Rgds
Norm
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Postby Bernie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:20 am

One of the nicest funniest people I have known. So sad..
Bernie
BMSC member

Postby Russ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:01 pm

Rest in peace old mate was a great pleasure to know you a true MOD thanks for the music and jokes bye mate
Russ
Russ
BMSC member

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.