Lambretta engine experts!

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Re: Lambretta engine experts!

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:03 pm

that piston has "caught" some time in the past- i.e. its seized. There is also evidence of "blueing" on the gudgeon pin indicating overheating.

From memory I think you had a 175 conversion done on that engine so you will need an oversize 175 conversion piston- not a TV175 piston as the gudgeon pin heights are different. Scooter Restorations do these pistons I think, and also good small end bearings.

Steve at Piston Broke knows his stuff- simply give him the cylinder and the new piston and he will bore to suit (3 thou clearance). It might be worth asking him to put 2 small holes on the exhaust side of the piston to aid cooling- hes done a few for me and it certainly helps.

Beware, Steve can talk for England.
Lambretta scootering April 1968 to April 2021. Now retired.
TV175S3 Chris

Postby Jim » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Yes - it is a 175 conversion and it did 'nip up' a couple of times when running it in!

Would Steve at PB not be able to supply the piston as well?
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:47 pm

don't think so- he has a limited stock of "Lambretta" pistons. Your best bet is Scooter Restos.

http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... ome-rings/

dependant of course on the size you need.
Lambretta scootering April 1968 to April 2021. Now retired.
TV175S3 Chris

Postby G.I » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Jim,

Just picked up one of those....

http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... ome-rings/

and got Steve at Piston Broke to rebore the cylinder.

I needed a 62.2 piston but couldn't find a decent quality one anywhere so went up to 62.4.

I left the cylinder with him and it was done the next day (£30) - he offered to do it while I waited but I had to get on.
You need to write off an hour at least when you take it in - he talks more than Clive.
G.I

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Thanx for the tip mate!
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby nickwill » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 am

Was browsing the Scooterotica forum and there is a posting from a guy with symptoms remarkably similar to yours Jim, including a video of the motor running. Similar suggestions regarding small end, big end, piston etc, but also one posting suggested it could be the chain or tensioner making the noise. Just a thought, no idea how to test this apart from chaincase off and have a look, or using a stethoscope !!
Unsolved mysteries are interesting, but can become very frustrating after a while. Bizarrely this guy's noise started after he changed the carb. ?????????????
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby nickwill » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:36 am

Just to add the posting was in the Scooterotica 'Lambretta Tech' section and was titled 'Rattle!!!'
Nick
nickwill
Committee Member

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 pm

Yep - thanx Nick! That is a similar noise to mine! I'm going to crack open the crank case and have a look! I remember back in the day when the chain guide on my TV 175 series 2 snapped and a chunk of it got wedged in the gear box! I was popping along at a fair speed, and needless to say the engine instantly locked up and that was the longest rear wheel skid I have ever done!

Last week I took a cylinder and head to Piston Broke for rebore and head re profile. What a guy that Steve is! Knows his stuff and I now see what you mean Chris and Nick (GI) - had a really good chinwag about engines and just about everything else as well!

These sort of blokes are priceless and we need to keep 'em in business! Highly recommend him!
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Previous

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.