Colin's Ride

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Colin's Ride

Postby Jim » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:25 pm

Our fellow club mate Colin Birch very sadly passed away on January 10th of this year, and this Sunday we are having a rideout in his honour.

We will NOT be meeting up at the Arnolfini as planned, due to the surrounding roads being cordoned off for the half marathon! We will now be meeting up at Fowlers Motorcycles on the Sunday morning at 11:00am, leaving around 11:30, probably heading off towards Bath and / or Wells. What we will definitely be doing is having a drink somewhere and raise a glass in Colin's memory!

This is probably our last club organized ride this season, so let's make it a good'un!

Here's the main details again- PLEASE NOTE THE NEW MEET UP PLACE!

MEET AT FOWLERS MOTORCYCLES

THIS SUNDAY 21ST SEPTEMBER

AT 11:00AM DEPARTING 11:30

FOR A RIDE IN MEMORY OF COLIN

See you on Sunday.
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Re: Colin's Ride - This Sunday 21st September

Postby gerry » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:45 pm

is the half marathon gonna affect meeting at the arnofini?? seen all the cones going out today??
lambretta is a way of life

GTS is a way of commuting
gerry
BMSC member

Re: Colin's Ride - This Sunday 21st September

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:46 pm

These bloody 'arf marathons!!

Well spotted Gerry! Let's meet at Fowlers Motorcycles, 2-12 Bath Rd, Avon, Bristol BS4 3DR.

I guess everybody knows where that is!
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Re: Colin's Ride - This Sunday <NEW MEET UP PLACE>

Postby Jim » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:55 pm

Good turnout for this ride - big thanx to all who showed up at Fowlers this morning and commiserations to those who couldn't make it for one reason or another!

I set off from my house in good time, scoot starting and going really well. Recently installed new crank and bearings put paid to my phantom engine rattle, in fact the race crank I put in is much smoother - less vibration all the way through the revs. But halfway to Fowlers things went a bit pear shaped - cutting out then picking up when revved. Really difficult to ride, specially through all the slow moving diverted traffic (thanx for nothing, marathon organizers !) but managed to make it to Fowlers, where everyone else was waiting.

Whipped the carb off and found the idle jet well and truly blocked! Tried cleaning it out, but no joy! So well done to Gerry for having some spare jets in his tool box! Whacked one in and hey presto- engine running sweet again - thanx Gerry - I owe you one! (Jet, that is!) Typical Lambretta - spent most of Saturday in me boiler suit doing some maintenance on it, and it was running sweet - maybe I should've spent a bit more time and cleaned the carb out as well! Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it! So apologies to all for holding up the ride for a bit- there's always one isn't there!

Most excellent ride to Wells though, in mainly warm sunshine, with no further probs to report! You just can't beat riding through the countryside on a nice late summer's day, tho there were quite a few farmyard odours to contend with, well, I suppose it makes a change from the whiff of old two stroke engines!

Nice stop off in the square at Wells for a very tasty world famous pastie, with free cup of coffee, bit of a 'meal deal' going on methinks! Then a ride past Colin's road where we felt it appropriate to give a toot on the old horns - nice touch but not sure if the local neighbours thought the same!

We then stopped off in the centre of Glastonbury by the tower thingy, where we were joined by a gang of bikers and just to make things a bit like travelling back through time, a load of hippies decided to join in - far out man, peace and love!

We nipped into the Crown Inn where we stood outside in hazy mid September sunshine and raised a pint in Colin's honour - just perfect!

All in all, another great day out, and I think we can safely say we did Colin proud! Cheers old mate, wherever you are!

See you all next time!
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Re: Colin's Ride

Postby lydford106 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:08 am

Guys...
Sounds from Jims excellent account that you had a great day out and honoured a man I was not lucky enough to meet.
I have just now got my LI back from Danny at Scootopia...different scooter now,sweet as a nut, the man certainly knows his stuff!!

Matt
lydford106
BMSC member

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.