Message to Clive

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Message to Clive

Postby Steve Holloway » Thu May 14, 2015 7:33 pm

Clive, looks like it`s time to get all of those SX200`s out of yer `lock up` and stick em on ebay

Just seen one go after 29 bids for £9243!

Must be the `feelgood factor` sweeping through the UK after the recent elections :cheeky:
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Re: Message to Clive

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Thu May 14, 2015 8:54 pm

don't think so.

Sellers mate probably bid it up for him ("schiel bidding?) and the sellers been left with it plus an Ebay fee for selling it! It'll reappear shortly for sale.

No one in their right mind is going to pay that for a Lambretta despite the fact its a 200cc.
Lambretta scootering April 1968 to April 2021. Now retired.
TV175S3 Chris

Postby Steve Holloway » Sat May 16, 2015 5:43 am

Chris, my post was quite obviously very tongue in cheek, although I do believe in this particular instance, for several reasons, this sale may well be genuine

It would seem that prices for genuine original `top end` Italian Lambrettas, have crept up recently. May is perhaps a good time of year to sell. The seller has been an ebay member since 2004 and has 100% feedback. He`s owned the SX for 10 years, having purchased it from Pete Merchant (this may well add perceived value to the SX, make your own mind up) There was 29 bids (in my opinion, the more bids the more likely it`s a genuine auction)

At the end of the day the price a buyer is willing to pay for any product for sale is relative to their circumstances. To some, £9k is a huge amount of money, to others it simply isn`t. There are lots of people in our age group who have already, or are about to get their hands on decent sized pension pots. I personally know several people of a similar age who have inherited their parents houses recently. A few years ago a friend of mine inherited his parents property, a couple of years later his wife was also left her parents house, between them they banked the best part of £600k! If he was looking for a nice genuine `top end` scoot to enjoy into his twilight years, £9k would hardly make a dent in his finances!
Steve Holloway
BMSC Chairman

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Sat May 16, 2015 8:42 am

point taken Steve although I do have some sympathy with Clive's original statement!

About 10 years back the price of scooters generally went through the roof for exactly the reasons you stated (and the influence of ebay)- many "born again mods" got into the scene/ back into the scene and this naturally was reflected on prices. Since then however, I do feel that prices have drifted downwards mainly due to those people who "bought in" becoming quickly disillusioned and selling their scooters on- often at a loss.

I've given this particular example a lot of thought, but can't see how its sold for that figure.

If its a top end factory resto then possibly £7k. If it has a lot of additional work then this can "up" the figure although in some cases it can "down' it as well ( A couple of years back there was a TV175 S3 done in a "t Rex/ Marc Bolan" theme- the seller had spent an absolute fortune on it and was, I believe, asking £14k- now if you are a T Rex fan then you might be tempted- if not then...... :shock: It was later readvertised at £9k and failed to sell then.)

I do believe that "factory restos" are easier to shift (alternatively the original untouched examples are even easier but they are very rare now)

If its a genuine sale then good luck to the seller- the purchaser is obviously happy to pay that price as well.
TV175S3 Chris

Postby Jim » Sat May 16, 2015 9:08 am

I watched this auction, and from the list of bidders, it looked like there were a few folk who really wanted this very nice scooter.

As old mahogany faced David Dickenson says on his auction program on telly, "if two people who really want something are in the room, the price could go through the roof!"

Maybe the guy who won this scooter on Ebay had a bad dose of auction fever and got a bit carried away, and is now wondering how he can either wriggle out of honouring the sale, or how he's going to tell his missus that he's just blown the best part of 10K on 'an old scooter!' Good luck with the latter mate!

Having said all that, I believe it was a genuine sale! Let's face it, anybody who is passionate (or addicted) with anything - cars, motorbikes, scooters, alcohol, women and drugs (apparently other things are also available!) if you see a scoot you really want, then sometimes all sensibility goes out the window and you will pay how ever much is required to satisfy your obsession regardless of your financial situation!

Just my opinion of course!
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Sat May 16, 2015 9:38 am

from A level economics- "the market will determine its own level"

All parties appear happy with the deal- still pricey IMO :-D
TV175S3 Chris

Postby Jim » Sat May 16, 2015 10:03 am

Yes, maybe a bit pricey, but ten years ago, weren't good SX200s going for around 5K! The prices of such things will always ultimately go up!

Some popular classic cars have pretty much doubled in price over the last ten years, so why should popular classic scooters be any different! As you say, it's what the market dictates!

Perhaps with house prices on a seemingly unstoppable rise and pay (allegedly!) increasing with unemployment figures (apparently!) going down, we are or about to witness a new era of 'feel good factor', with folk now more confident and happy to splash out more money on things they want than they would have done say 5 years ago!

But looking on Ebay, there are still plenty of scoots on sale at 'reasonable' prices, so anyone, even on a low budget, can still get a piece of the action and enjoy owning a vintage scooter!
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Sat May 16, 2015 10:16 am

I just wish I'd kept all those £200 scooters :shock: I sold during the 1980's and 90's :-D
TV175S3 Chris

Postby Jim » Sat May 16, 2015 10:29 am

Ain't that the truth!!

Sold my amazing SX200 which I'd spent too much money and time on getting perfect- British racing green with tangerine flashes and T stripe on the panels,nicely tuned engine with all the chrome goodies in '69 for 55 quid to a mate! He did the old trick and turned up with just fifty notes, promising to pay me the other fiver 'next time he saw me!'

Never did get that fiver! Apparently he thrashed it to death and the engine gave up and he lost interest and after that i never saw it around anywhere!

You don't think that it's still in the back of somebodies garage or shed - you never know!!
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Sat May 16, 2015 10:30 am

..........its just been sold for £9243 :-D
TV175S3 Chris

Postby Jim » Sat May 16, 2015 10:33 am

LOL!!

sh*t - thought it looked familiar!!
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.