still dead scoot

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

still dead scoot

Postby danny mac » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:01 am

Hi Chris hope you had a good holiday, I am free tomorrow (Friday) and Sunday if you want to have a look at my scoot , cheers mate , Dan !
danny mac
BMSC member

Re: still dead scoot

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Dan

Friday seems OK- want to PM me your addy etc?

Chris
Lambretta scootering April 1968 to April 2021. Now retired.
TV175S3 Chris

Postby danny mac » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Cheers mate , 7 Runnymede Kingswood, bs15 4bg , 07833212032, late afternoon would be ideal , or any time that would suit you !
danny mac
BMSC member

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:16 pm

PM better- about 2 ish OK?
TV175S3 Chris

Postby danny mac » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:13 am

Ye, fine mate ,ring me at 2. Cheers
danny mac
BMSC member

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:23 am

Dan

nice to catch up with you yesterday.

Just to clarify- you have an intermittent fault within the ignition system somewhere which causes the engine to stop (no spark) after about 20 min or so of running. After leaving for another 20 mins the bike will restart normally.

Rather than simply replace parts "ad-hoc" I've advised that:-

when it next fails, simply remove the front light and pull out the green wire I've indicated. That will bypass the ignition switch. If it does restart then all indications are that it is the actual switch which is at fault which can be replaced quite easily.

If it doesn't start, then it would appear that there is a problem with the actual stator plate somewhere- we can worry about that as and when!

Please let me know how you get on.

Chris
TV175S3 Chris

Postby danny mac » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks for coming over Friday mate, another fellow scooterist with maybe that piece of the missing jigsaw ! I will be taking scoot out for a run this afternoon (Sunday) at about 4 ish , so keep an eye out on forum later !!!
danny mac
BMSC member

Postby danny mac » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:40 pm

hi chris, possible ignition switch fault eliminated, same problem !!! A guy called john lives just up the road from me and occasionally goes down thew nova gave me a call and said a mate of his had exactly the same problem ! with a SX 150 . he replaced this and that as i have but finally gave up and took it to scootopia in weston . they diagnosed the fault as being the " mounting bolts for the wiring loom on the stator were too long " thus expanding when hot and shorting out on the flywheel or fan housing ! worth look at i suppose, although todays run out and cut out seemed to take a lot longer than previous, about 40 mins, i suppose ideally trying it with a different stator before buynig a new one could be another option ! maybe clive "the proffessor" has one in his alladins cave that he could lend us !
danny mac
BMSC member

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Dan- sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Been in Devon for a couple of days.

yes the actual switch would appear OK then, so the fault lies further down the system and is pointing towards the actual stator.

There is an outside possibility it could be within the loom intermittently, which would be a nightmare to trace and locate.

As regards the stator it might be the pick-up or something else.

My own view is that the whole stator should be replaced, although I would have a word with Tom in view of the time its been in there- also he could identify the cause much quicker that replacing bit by bit.

Chris
TV175S3 Chris

Postby danny mac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:36 am

Hi Chris,just had a chat with a guy from scootopia, as I think you mentioned, there is a possible problem with a "sticking" pick up on the stator ! As we have bypassed the ignition system this possibly eliminates a Loom problem ! So would you be able to help me out with changing the pick up ! as I don't have the appropriate tooling etc ! And what spec' pick up should I order !! Cheers mate !
danny mac
BMSC member

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:57 am

not a problem- if you get a new pick up unit from Scootopia or Scooter Restorations its a simple (!) job of removing the old and soldering the new one on.

The pick up is approx £5 to £10.

I've got a puller to remove the flywheel and you can probably get away with replacing the box "in-situ" without removing the stator.

I will need an electrical supply for the soldering iron- has your garage got power?

If not probably best to do it at mine.

Get a pick up and let me know when received (they are generic and just get a "good one".....................

Chris
TV175S3 Chris

Postby danny mac » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:08 pm

cheers chris, yes, electricity not a problem !!! I will order a pick up and get back to you ,cheers mate !
danny mac
BMSC member

Postby TV175S3 Chris » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Dan

before we take the stator apart I notice there is no earth strap between the engine and the frame. It would be prudent to attach an earth strap from the rear flywheel housing bolt to the N/S rear strut to see if this possibly cures the problem.

Without an earth strap, the engine is earthed to the rest of the bike through the inner control cables (which is not ideal)- if you get a length of ordinary automotive electrical cable and attach two "ring" connectors and attach, then run the bike to see if that cures it first.

Chris
TV175S3 Chris

Postby danny mac » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi Chris, spare part arrived this morning ! I have already placed an earth in the place we discussed ( from fan housing to frame ) before I ran it last week ! I am home Friday, Sunday and Monday !! Cheers mate !!
danny mac
BMSC member

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.