John Simons - A proper Modernist!

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

John Simons - A proper Modernist!

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:33 pm

For those of us who have a real interest in the history and roots of Mod culture and fashion - here's a bit of a treat.

John Simons was one of the real original drivers of the mod fashion scene - particularly back in the 60's.
His shop in Richmond-upon-Thames - "The Ivy Shop", was a regular Saturday haunt for me and many of my mates. We couldn't afford to buy much in those days - but we treated it a bit like a fashion museum.
He had several other shops - and he still does, close to Baker Street in the West End.
Simons was responsible for importing many "Mod favourites" - button down shirts, Harrington jackets, chinos etc. Lots of the clothes we used to wear as teenagers (as still do as "old teenagers") emerged for the fashion movement of which he was an early driver. Fascinating guy.

So - this documentary is a bit of a rare gem.
It's only being shown a couple of times in Central London - the first showing is sold out already. But it will be coming out in DVD format, too.
https://www.regentstreetcinema.com/prog ... modernist/

Just thought I'd mention it.
Anyone interested in more info - please let me know.
Cheers
Norm
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Re: John Simons - A proper Modernist!

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks for the info Norm - the guy is a true legend!

If anybody wants to see this film, don't forget it's being shown all afternoon on repeat on Saturday 28th April upstairs at The Bristol Modernist Weekender event at The Boardroom in St. Nicholas Street, just one day after it's London premiere!

And what's more - it's even free to get in!!

Even more reason to be there!
Jim
Jim
Club Secretary

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.