Amazing Grace - not to be missed.

For General Mod and Scooter Discussion and events organised by the Bristol Mod Scooter Club only. All other non-club events to go in the "Gigs and other events" forum.

Moderators: Norm the Newsletter, Steve Holloway, Jim

Amazing Grace - not to be missed.

Postby Norm the Newsletter » Fri May 17, 2019 12:30 pm

If you think, as I do, that Aretha (Franklin) possessed one of the most wonderful soul voices of all time - treat yourself to this:

https://www.amazinggracefilm.co.uk/?campaign=search

I saw it at The Watershed yesterday evening.
It's only 1.5 hrs long - but 90% of it is Aretha singing gospel - back to her roots at her Baptist Church in L.A. in 1972.
The film was originally shot, on a variety of film media, by Sidney Pollack and then lay "lost" for years in storage.
But after her death in August last year, her family supported the "reclamation" of the film and it was premiered in NY late in 2018 and then released in April, this year.

The film covers 2 evening sessions and are MC'd by a charming and witty Rev James Franklin - himself an outstanding, gospel musician.
You will catch fleeting glimpses of very young Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts - simply spectators at the back of the auditorium.

The film is pretty raw and, by todays cinematic standards, quite basic.
But, through it all, the truly astounding voice that we loved so much over the years, shines through.
Pure magic!

Hope you get a chance to enjoy it as I did.

Cheers all
Norm
Norm the Newsletter
Club Treasurer

Return to General Scooter and Mod discussion and club events only.